UEFA provisionally suspends Prestianni amid investigation into alleged abuse of Vinícius

Vinícius accuses Prestianni of racist abuse as Champions League tie is halted in Lisbon
Vinícius accuses Prestianni of racist abuse as Champions League tie is halted in Lisbon
  • Benfica forward suspended for Champions League second leg against Real Madrid
  • UEFA inquiry continues into alleged discriminatory language
  • Potential sanction could reach a ten match ban

UEFA has provisionally suspended Benfica forward Gianluca Prestianni for Wednesday’s Champions League second leg against Real Madrid while an investigation continues into allegations of discriminatory language directed at Vinícius Júnior.

The incident took place during last week’s first leg in Lisbon, which Real Madrid won 1-0. Vinícius accused Prestianni of directing a racist insult at him following his goal, prompting a stoppage in play and an immediate reaction from players and officials. Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappé later confirmed that he had heard the abuse.

Sources told ESPN that Prestianni has admitted to UEFA investigators that he used an anti gay slur rather than racist language. Under UEFA disciplinary regulations, both forms of abuse carry the same potential punishment, which includes a suspension of at least ten matches.

UEFA confirmed the provisional ban in a statement, explaining that the decision followed an interim report from an appointed Ethics and Disciplinary Inspector. The governing body said the suspension applies to the next UEFA club competition match for which Prestianni would otherwise have been eligible, without prejudice to any further ruling once the investigation is complete.

“This is without prejudice to any ruling that the UEFA disciplinary bodies may subsequently make following the conclusion of the ongoing investigation,” the statement said.

Benfica confirmed they had been informed of the decision and said they would appeal, although they acknowledged the timing meant the outcome would be unlikely to affect the second leg.

“The club regrets being deprived of the player while the process is still under investigation,” Benfica said. “Sport Lisboa e Benfica also reaffirms its unwavering commitment to combating all forms of racism or discrimination, values that are part of its historical identity and reflected in its daily actions.”

Prestianni, who was among several Benfica players upset by Vinícius’ celebration near the home supporters, now faces a prolonged absence from European competition if the charge is upheld.

UEFA is expected to provide further updates once its investigation has concluded.

Avatar photo
WRITTEN BY

Hailey

Hailey Russell is a football journalist and former Division 1 collegiate athlete in the United States, bringing a unique blend of elite playing experience and professional insight to her work. Currently competing at the professional level in Europe, Hailey combines first-hand knowledge of the modern game with sharp analysis across match reports, player development, and tactical breakdowns.

More articles by Hailey →

Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment






The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

More in News

Zavier Gozo

Real Salt Lake Sell Zavier Gozo to Crystal Palace in Club-Record $15 Million Deal

Real Salt Lake announced Tuesday it has transferred homegrown winger ...
Andre Luiz seen during Liga Portugal game between teams of CF Estrela Amadora and Rio Ave FC at Estadio Jose Gomes (Maciej Rogowski/Ball Raw Images)

Sporting Kansas City Sign Brazilian Winger Andre Luiz in Club-Record Deal

Sporting Kansas City have added a new attacking piece to ...
Ernest Muci, Ezri Konsa during UEFA Europa Conference League 23/24 game between Aston Villa FC and Legia Warszawa at Villa Park, Birmingham, United Kingdom. (Maciej Rogowski) — Photo by mrogowski_photography

Arsenal Agree £51m Deal With Aston Villa to Sign Ezri Konsa

Arsenal have agreed a £51m deal to sign Ezri Konsa ...

Manchester United Close In on Carlos Baleba as Third Midfield Signing of the Summer

Manchester United are closing in on a deal for Brighton ...
Madrid, Spain - April 30, 2026: Champions League semi-final match between Atletico Madrid and Arsenal played in Madrid. Champions League. Premier League. — Photo by Musiu0

Arsenal Vow to Become ‘Best Club in the World’ as Arteta and Garlick Outline Transfer Plan

Mikel Arteta says Arsenal's ambition stretches well beyond defending their ...

Trending on Futbol Chronicle

Celta Vigo postpones LaLiga opener after fungus outbreak damages stadium pitch

Celta Vigo’s LaLiga opener against Osasuna has been postponed because ...
Michael Carrick - Rooney says Carrick gave “taste of what it was like under Sir Alex Ferguson”

Michael Carrick points to lack of sharpness after Manchester United draw with West Ham

• Michael Carrick cited a lack of sharpness after Manchester ...
Michael Carrick - Rooney says Carrick gave “taste of what it was like under Sir Alex Ferguson”

Michael Carrick admits Manchester United have “no excuses” after AC Milan defeat

Manchester United suffered a 4-2 preseason defeat to AC Milan ...

Arab football federations back Gianni Infantino as FIFA president faces growing opposition

Six Arab football federations have expressed their “full support” for ...

Cristian Romero completes €40m move from Tottenham to Atlético Madrid

Cristian Romero has completed his transfer from Tottenham Hotspur to ...