Infantino reassured over Mexico security despite cartel violence ahead of World Cup

Infantino
Infantino

  • FIFA president says Mexico remains fully prepared to host World Cup matches
  • Violence followed the killing of a major cartel leader near Guadalajara
  • Authorities insist there is no risk to fans, players or officials

FIFA president Gianni Infantino says he is confident Mexico will safely host its share of matches at the 2026 World Cup despite recent violent unrest triggered by the killing of a major drug cartel leader.

Speaking in Barranquilla on Tuesday, Infantino said he was “very reassured” following discussions with local authorities after violence spread across large parts of the country earlier this week.

“Everything is good,” he said. “It is going to be spectacular.”

Mexico is one of the three co-hosts of the tournament alongside the United States and Canada, with the competition running from June 11 to July 19. Concern has grown after the killing of Nemesio Oseguera, known as El Mencho, the leader of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel, near Guadalajara.

At least 74 people were killed during the operation to capture him and in the clashes that followed. Cartel gunmen blocked roads across 20 of Mexico’s 32 states and torched vehicles and businesses, forcing residents and tourists to seek shelter.

“It feels like we’re in a war zone,” said Javier Perez, a 41 yearold engineer, speaking in Puerto Vallarta, where burned out vehicles littered the streets.

Images of the violence were broadcast worldwide less than four months before the tournament begins. FIFA initially declined to comment, but Infantino’s remarks were intended to offer reassurance.

Not all football authorities were convinced. The Portuguese Football Federation said it was closely monitoring the situation and cast doubt on whether its national team would travel to Mexico City for a scheduled friendly on March 29, citing concerns for player and supporter safety.

Mexico head coach Javier Aguirre struck a more optimistic tone, insisting that preparations were continuing without disruption. President Claudia Sheinbaum also said there was “no risk” to visiting fans and that the situation was gradually returning to normal.

Guadalajara, the capital of Jalisco state, is due to host four group stage matches, including a highly anticipated fixture between Uruguay and Spain. It will also co-host a playoff tournament with Monterrey to determine the final two teams to qualify for the World Cup.

Governor Pablo Lemus dismissed any suggestion that Guadalajara could lose its place as a host city, saying there was “absolutely no risk” of changes to the schedule.

Mexico City and Monterrey, the other Mexican host venues, were not affected by the recent unrest.

Security planning remains under close scrutiny, particularly with a friendly between Mexico and Iceland scheduled in Queretaro on Wednesday, after a domestic league match there was suspended last weekend due to the violence.

For now, FIFA and Mexican authorities are maintaining their stance that the tournament will proceed safely and without disruption.

Avatar photo
WRITTEN BY

Hailey

Hailey Russell is a football journalist and former Division 1 collegiate athlete in the United States, bringing a unique blend of elite playing experience and professional insight to her work. Currently competing at the professional level in Europe, Hailey combines first-hand knowledge of the modern game with sharp analysis across match reports, player development, and tactical breakdowns.

More articles by Hailey →

Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment






The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

More in News

Zavier Gozo

Real Salt Lake Sell Zavier Gozo to Crystal Palace in Club-Record $15 Million Deal

Real Salt Lake announced Tuesday it has transferred homegrown winger ...
Andre Luiz seen during Liga Portugal game between teams of CF Estrela Amadora and Rio Ave FC at Estadio Jose Gomes (Maciej Rogowski/Ball Raw Images)

Sporting Kansas City Sign Brazilian Winger Andre Luiz in Club-Record Deal

Sporting Kansas City have added a new attacking piece to ...
Ernest Muci, Ezri Konsa during UEFA Europa Conference League 23/24 game between Aston Villa FC and Legia Warszawa at Villa Park, Birmingham, United Kingdom. (Maciej Rogowski) — Photo by mrogowski_photography

Arsenal Agree £51m Deal With Aston Villa to Sign Ezri Konsa

Arsenal have agreed a £51m deal to sign Ezri Konsa ...

Manchester United Close In on Carlos Baleba as Third Midfield Signing of the Summer

Manchester United are closing in on a deal for Brighton ...
Madrid, Spain - April 30, 2026: Champions League semi-final match between Atletico Madrid and Arsenal played in Madrid. Champions League. Premier League. — Photo by Musiu0

Arsenal Vow to Become ‘Best Club in the World’ as Arteta and Garlick Outline Transfer Plan

Mikel Arteta says Arsenal's ambition stretches well beyond defending their ...

Trending on Futbol Chronicle

Why Soccer Is The Best Sport

Soccer has become incredibly popular across the globe in recent ...
Michael Carrick - Rooney says Carrick gave “taste of what it was like under Sir Alex Ferguson”

Michael Carrick points to lack of sharpness after Manchester United draw with West Ham

• Michael Carrick cited a lack of sharpness after Manchester ...
Premier League

Map of All the Premier League Teams for 2025/26

The 2025/26 Premier League features 20 clubs spread across England, ...
2026 World Cup ball

The Best World Cup YouTubers to Follow in 2026

The 2026 World Cup is the biggest in the tournament's ...
Michael Carrick - Rooney says Carrick gave “taste of what it was like under Sir Alex Ferguson”

Michael Carrick admits Manchester United have “no excuses” after AC Milan defeat

Manchester United suffered a 4-2 preseason defeat to AC Milan ...