Vinícius accuses Prestianni of racist abuse as Champions League tie is halted in Lisbon

Screenshot 2026-02-18 at 6.34.21 AM
Screenshot 2026-02-18 at 6.34.21 AM

  • Vinícius Júnior alleged racist abuse during Real Madrid’s win at Benfica
  • The match was paused for ten minutes as UEFA protocol was activated
  • Benfica midfielder Gianluca Prestianni strongly denied the accusation

Vinícius Júnior accused Benfica midfielder Gianluca Prestianni of racially abusing him during Real Madrid’s Champions League playoff first leg in Lisbon, prompting a ten-minute stoppage as officials activated UEFA’s anti racism protocol.

The Brazil international scored the only goal of the game in the 50th minute at the Estádio da Luz, giving Real Madrid a 1-0 advantage. After celebrating by the corner flag, Vinícius was confronted by Prestianni, who appeared to speak to him while covering his mouth with his shirt. Vinícius immediately pointed towards the Benfica player and ran to inform referee Francois Letexier.

Letexier made the crossed arms signal to indicate an allegation of racist abuse, and play was halted as both teams gathered on the pitch. Vinícius appeared visibly distressed as he spoke with coaching staff, teammates and match officials.

Following the match, Vinícius posted on social media, writing: “Racists are, above all, cowards. They cover their mouths because they are weak.”

Prestianni later issued a statement denying the accusation, saying he had never directed racist insults at Vinícius and that his words had been misinterpreted. Benfica players supported their teammate, stating that the exchange was limited to normal on field provocation.

Real Madrid assistant coach Álvaro Arbeloa confirmed that the players were prepared to leave the pitch if Vinícius wished, but after discussion, the decision was taken to continue.

“Zero tolerance for racism,” Arbeloa said. “We asked Vinícius what he wanted to do and we were ready to support him completely. This cannot happen in football.”

Vinícius was also booked for his goal celebration, a decision he later questioned, describing the application of protocol as ineffective.

Several Real Madrid players publicly supported their teammate, with Kylian Mbappé stating that he believed Vinícius had been racially abused multiple times. Trent Alexander-Arnold called the incident “a disgrace to sport and society,” while Federico Valverde said teammates nearby heard “something very nasty.”

Aurélien Tchouaméni revealed that Vinícius told teammates he had been called a monkey, adding that the squad were ready to walk off if required.

The Brazilian Football Confederation released a statement backing Vinícius, calling the incident unacceptable and reaffirming its commitment to fighting discrimination.

Benfica will travel to Madrid for the second leg at the Bernabéu on February 25, with Real Madrid holding a narrow first-leg advantage as UEFA reviews the incident.

Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment






The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

More in News

Mikel Arteta of Arsenal gives the team instructions during the Premier League match Arsenal vs Southampton at Emirates Stadium, London, United Kingdom, 5th October 202 — Photo by operations@newsimages.co.uk

Arteta accepts Arsenal deserved setback after late Wolves comeback

Arsenal surrendered a two goal lead in a dramatic late ...
Eddie Howe of Newcastle United looks on during the Premier League match Newcastle United vs Nottingham Forest at St. James's Park, Newcastle, United Kingdom, 23rd February 2025 (Photo by Alfie Cosgrove/News Images)

Eddie Howe hails Anthony Gordon as Newcastle cruise to dominant Champions League victory

Gordon scores four times as Newcastle claim 6-1 knockout victory ...

Anthony Gordon Makes Champions League History as Newcastle Sweep Aside Qarabag

Gordon becomes first player to score four first half goals ...

UEFA Launches Investigation Into Racism Allegation After Vinícius Júnior Incident in Lisbon

UEFA appoints ethics and disciplinary inspector following allegation of racist ...
Marcus Rashford of Manchester United, during the Premier League match Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Manchester United at Molineux, Wolverhampton, United Kingdom, 1st February 202 — Photo by operations@newsimages.co.uk

Manchester United Stand Firm on Marcus Rashford Fee as Barcelona Consider Permanent Deal

United expect Barcelona to pay the full agreed fee if ...

Trending on Futbol Chronicle

What Is The Club World Cup?

The FIFA Club World Cup has undergone a significant transformation, ...

Why Soccer Is The Best Sport

Soccer has become incredibly popular across the globe in recent ...

Michael Carrick points to lack of sharpness after Manchester United draw with West Ham

• Michael Carrick cited a lack of sharpness after Manchester ...