Congo warned World Cup place could be at risk amid Ebola outbreak

World Cup
World Cup
Advertisement
Advertisement
  • Congo told to isolate for 21 days before entering the United States
  • U.S. officials warn World Cup participation could be blocked if bubble is breached
  • Ebola outbreak in central Africa has already killed more than 130 people

Congo have been warned they risk being denied entry into the United States for the World Cup unless the national team completes a strict 21-day isolation period amid the country’s ongoing Ebola outbreak.

Andrew Giuliani, executive director of the White House Task Force for the World Cup, confirmed on Friday that U.S. officials had informed FIFA, the Congolese football federation and the Congolese government that the squad must remain inside a controlled bubble while training in Belgium.

The team are currently preparing in Europe ahead of the tournament and are due to play warm-up matches against Denmark in Liege on June 3 and Chile in Spain on June 9.

“We’ve been very clear to Congo that they should maintain the integrity of their bubble for 21 days before they can then come to Houston on June 11th,” Giuliani told ESPN.

“We’ve made it very clear to the Congo government as well, that they need to maintain that bubble or they risk not being able to travel to the United States. We cannot be any clearer.”

Giuliani said the U.S. government is treating health security around the World Cup as a major priority.

“We want to make sure that there is nothing that’s going to come in or near our borders here on this,” he said.

All of Congo’s players and head coach Sébastien Desabre are currently based outside the country, with the majority of the squad playing club football in France.

However, some staff members travelled from Congo earlier this week, increasing concerns around exposure.

Giuliani warned that any breach of the isolation protocols could jeopardise the country’s participation in the tournament.

“If there are other people that are going to be coming in, they need to have a separate bubble from that team,” he said.

“If they end up coming, and any of those people end up symptomatic, they are risking the entire team being able to come and compete in this World Cup.”

The outbreak involves the rare Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, which Congolese authorities confirmed last week.

According to the World Health Organization, the outbreak has already caused more than 130 deaths and nearly 600 suspected cases, prompting the organisation to declare a public health emergency of international concern.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has already introduced temporary restrictions banning entry for foreign nationals who have recently been in Congo, Uganda or South Sudan within the previous three weeks.

The restrictions are currently set to last for 30 days.

Giuliani also confirmed that American health officials are monitoring two U.S. doctors in quarantine after exposure to Ebola and are considering sending staff to Belgium to oversee Congo’s preparations more closely.

Congo have already cancelled a planned training camp and farewell event for supporters in the capital city of Kinshasa earlier this week.

The Leopards have been drawn in Group K at the World Cup alongside Portugal, Colombia and Uzbekistan.

They are scheduled to open their campaign against Portugal in Houston on June 17 before facing Colombia in Guadalajara and Uzbekistan in Atlanta.

Avatar photo
WRITTEN BY

Hailey

Hailey Russell is a football journalist and former Division 1 collegiate athlete in the United States, bringing a unique blend of elite playing experience and professional insight to her work. Currently competing at the professional level in Europe, Hailey combines first-hand knowledge of the modern game with sharp analysis across match reports, player development, and tactical breakdowns.

More articles by Hailey →
Advertisement
Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment






The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Advertisement

More in News

Alonso Explains Plan to Blend Rogers and Palmer Before Fulham Opener

Xabi Alonso has spent his first weeks at Chelsea answering ...
Frank Lampard manager of Coventry City celebrates the 3-5 win with the traveling fans during the Sky Bet Championship match Derby County vs Coventry City at Pride Park Stadium, Derby, United Kingdom, 16th August 2025 — Photo by operations@newsimages.co.uk

Frank Lampard’s Coventry Face Arsenal With No Fear After a 25-Year Wait for the Premier League

Four months ago, Coventry City fans lined the streets to ...
Lionel Messi #10 of the Inter Miami FC runs during the MLS Regular season match between Toronto FC (Canada) v Inter Miami CF (USA) at BMO Field. — Photo by pftrip

Lionel Messi Ends Scoring Drought With First Goal for Inter Miami After His Father’s Death

Lionel Messi scored his first goal for Inter Miami on ...
Mikel Arteta of Arsenal acknowledges the fans after the teams victory following the Premier League match Manchester United vs Arsenal at Old Trafford, Manchester, United Kingdom, 17th August 2025 — Photo by operations@newsimages.co.uk

Mikel Arteta Says He Is “100 Per Cent” Certain Arsenal Will Keep Myles Lewis-Skelly

Asked directly whether he was confident Myles Lewis-Skelly will still ...

Curtis Jones Set to Leave Liverpool After 16 Years for £30m Inter Milan Move

Curtis Jones joined Liverpool's academy at the age of nine. ...
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending on Futbol Chronicle

Cristian Romero completes €40m move from Tottenham to Atlético Madrid

Cristian Romero has completed his transfer from Tottenham Hotspur to ...
Lionel Messi

The Best Soccer Players of All Time: The 10 Greatest Ever Ranked

Ranking the greatest soccer players in history is a debate ...

Why Soccer Is The Best Sport

Soccer has become incredibly popular across the globe in recent ...
Premier League

Map of All the Premier League Teams for 2025/26

The 2025/26 Premier League features 20 clubs spread across England, ...

Josef Martinez Returns to MLS Spotlight With Columbus Crew Signing

Columbus Crew have signed Josef Martinez, bringing one of the ...
Advertisement
Advertisement