Ghana challenge Canada’s Thomas Partey visa decision ahead of World Cup opener

Screenshot
Screenshot
Advertisement
Advertisement
  • Ghana’s government will seek a review of Canada’s decision to deny Thomas Partey entry for the World Cup
  • Sports Minister Kofi Adams described the ruling as “absolutely wrong” with the midfielder yet to be convicted of any offence
  • Partey will miss Ghana’s opening match against Panama but could still feature in games held in the United States

Ghana have vowed to challenge Canada’s decision to deny Thomas Partey entry into the country, escalating a dispute that threatens to overshadow the Black Stars’ start to the 2026 World Cup.

The Villarreal midfielder will miss Ghana’s opening Group L fixture against Panama in Toronto after Canadian authorities rejected his visa application. Partey, who remains at Ghana’s base camp in Boston, is awaiting trial after being charged with seven counts of rape and one count of sexual assault in the United Kingdom. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges.

Speaking on Friday, Ghana Sports Minister Kofi Adams confirmed the government had already contacted the relevant authorities and would continue pressing for a review of the decision.

“If any Ghanaian is touched anywhere, we will not keep quiet over it,” Adams told Channel One TV. “We think it’s appropriate to get the appropriate authorities to review this decision.”

The case has sparked frustration within Ghana’s camp, with Adams arguing that Partey is being punished despite not being found guilty of any offence. The minister questioned why Canada had taken a different position to the United Kingdom, where the midfielder remains free while legal proceedings continue.

“Thomas was one of the players who was asked to go to the embassy for his biometrics, and then yesterday morning we got the decision that he has been denied entry to Canada on very flimsy grounds,” Adams said.

“I say flimsy because the person has already been charged, he has not been found guilty.”

Canadian officials have defended the decision. A spokesperson for Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada told ESPN that all applicants are assessed individually under Canadian law, while FIFA reiterated that host nations retain authority over visa decisions and entry requirements.

Adams, however, insisted the ruling sends the wrong message.

“Even in the country where they claim he committed the act, for which reason he is in court, which he has denied, he is still living there as a free citizen,” he said. “This is absolutely wrong. I don’t understand why today Canada is interpreting their rules to suggest that a charge means guilty.”

The situation leaves Ghana without one of its most experienced players for a crucial opening match. After facing Panama, the Black Stars return to the United States to play England in Boston before concluding their group-stage campaign against Croatia in Philadelphia.

The issue could become even more significant if Ghana progress beyond the group stage. A second-place finish in Group L would likely send them back to Toronto for a round-of-32 tie on July 2, raising further questions over Partey’s availability should Canada’s stance remain unchanged.

Avatar photo
WRITTEN BY

Hailey

Hailey Russell is a football journalist and former Division 1 collegiate athlete in the United States, bringing a unique blend of elite playing experience and professional insight to her work. Currently competing at the professional level in Europe, Hailey combines first-hand knowledge of the modern game with sharp analysis across match reports, player development, and tactical breakdowns.

More articles by Hailey →
Advertisement
Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment






The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Advertisement

More in News

Frank Lampard manager of Coventry City celebrates the 3-5 win with the traveling fans during the Sky Bet Championship match Derby County vs Coventry City at Pride Park Stadium, Derby, United Kingdom, 16th August 2025 — Photo by operations@newsimages.co.uk

Frank Lampard’s Coventry Face Arsenal With No Fear After a 25-Year Wait for the Premier League

Four months ago, Coventry City fans lined the streets to ...
Lionel Messi #10 of the Inter Miami FC runs during the MLS Regular season match between Toronto FC (Canada) v Inter Miami CF (USA) at BMO Field. — Photo by pftrip

Lionel Messi Ends Scoring Drought With First Goal for Inter Miami After His Father’s Death

Lionel Messi scored his first goal for Inter Miami on ...
Mikel Arteta of Arsenal acknowledges the fans after the teams victory following the Premier League match Manchester United vs Arsenal at Old Trafford, Manchester, United Kingdom, 17th August 2025 — Photo by operations@newsimages.co.uk

Mikel Arteta Says He Is “100 Per Cent” Certain Arsenal Will Keep Myles Lewis-Skelly

Asked directly whether he was confident Myles Lewis-Skelly will still ...

Curtis Jones Set to Leave Liverpool After 16 Years for £30m Inter Milan Move

Curtis Jones joined Liverpool's academy at the age of nine. ...
Zavier Gozo

Real Salt Lake Sell Zavier Gozo to Crystal Palace in Club-Record $15 Million Deal

Real Salt Lake announced Tuesday it has transferred homegrown winger ...
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending on Futbol Chronicle

Michael Carrick - Rooney says Carrick gave “taste of what it was like under Sir Alex Ferguson”

Michael Carrick admits Manchester United have “no excuses” after AC Milan defeat

Manchester United suffered a 4-2 preseason defeat to AC Milan ...

Cristian Romero completes €40m move from Tottenham to Atlético Madrid

Cristian Romero has completed his transfer from Tottenham Hotspur to ...

What Is The Club World Cup?

The FIFA Club World Cup has undergone a significant transformation, ...
Lionel Messi

The Best Soccer Players of All Time: The 10 Greatest Ever Ranked

Ranking the greatest soccer players in history is a debate ...
2026 World Cup ball

The Best World Cup YouTubers to Follow in 2026

The 2026 World Cup is the biggest in the tournament's ...
Advertisement
Advertisement