Mikel Arteta Says He Is “100 Per Cent” Certain Arsenal Will Keep Myles Lewis-Skelly

Mikel Arteta of Arsenal acknowledges the fans after the teams victory following the Premier League match Manchester United vs Arsenal at Old Trafford, Manchester, United Kingdom, 17th August 2025 — Photo by operations@newsimages.co.uk
Mikel Arteta of Arsenal acknowledges the fans after the teams victory following the Premier League match Manchester United vs Arsenal at Old Trafford, Manchester, United Kingdom, 17th August 2025 — Photo by operations@newsimages.co.uk

Asked directly whether he was confident Myles Lewis-Skelly will still be an Arsenal player once the transfer window shuts, Mikel Arteta did not hesitate. “100 per cent,” the Arsenal manager replied, closing down weeks of speculation over the future of one of his club’s most talked-about young players.

A Question Answered in Two Words

Arteta fielded the question in his press conference ahead of Friday night’s Premier League opener against Coventry City, with interest in Lewis-Skelly having built through the summer. Chelsea were linked with the teenager earlier in the window, while Manchester United have been long-term admirers of a player who started Arsenal’s Champions League final defeat to Paris Saint-Germain in May. None of that speculation, according to Arteta, changes where Lewis-Skelly’s future lies.

Pressed on his reasoning, Arteta pointed to something beyond the numbers a transfer fee might generate. “The players that have been raised in our system and they feel that love and connection with the club, it brings something else,” he said, explaining why academy graduates occupy a different place in his planning than players signed from elsewhere.

From Academy Prospect to Champions League Final Starter

Lewis-Skelly’s rise through Arsenal’s youth system has accelerated fast enough to draw interest from three of the Premier League’s biggest clubs inside a single transfer window. His starting role in Arsenal’s Champions League final appearance against Paris Saint-Germain in May marked the clearest sign yet of how far his standing within the squad has grown, a game at the highest level of European club football entrusted to a teenager still developing inside the club that raised him.

That is precisely the kind of trajectory that makes a player like Lewis-Skelly attractive to rival clubs willing to test Arsenal’s resolve. Chelsea’s interest earlier in the window and Manchester United’s longer-standing admiration both speak to how highly the teenager is regarded outside Arsenal, as much as inside it. Arteta’s flat refusal to entertain an exit suggests the club has no intention of allowing that external interest to unsettle its own plans for the player.

Both suitors bring clear credibility to any approach. Chelsea have spent heavily across recent transfer windows building a young, athletic squad, and a player of Lewis-Skelly’s age and profile would have fit neatly into that recruitment pattern. Manchester United’s admiration, described as long-term rather than a fresh development of this window, suggests scouting interest that predates the transfer speculation of the past few weeks. Neither club has moved beyond that admiration into anything Arteta has treated as a genuine threat to Arsenal’s plans, and his answer this week was designed to close down any suggestion that a bid, however substantial, would change that.

Why Arteta Values Academy Graduates Differently

Arteta’s explanation for wanting to keep Lewis-Skelly went beyond simple reluctance to sell a promising young player. His comments about players “raised in our system” feeling “that love and connection with the club” point to a broader philosophy the Arsenal manager has leaned on throughout his time at the club, one that treats homegrown talent as carrying a value that a transfer fee alone cannot replace.

That approach has shaped Arsenal’s squad building in recent years, with academy graduates given pathways into the first team rather than being moved on for profit at the first sign of interest from elsewhere. Lewis-Skelly’s Champions League final start is the clearest evidence yet that the pathway works, and Arteta’s certainty over his future suggests the club sees no reason to interrupt it now, however tempting the interest from Chelsea and Manchester United looks from a financial perspective.

Selling a young academy product for an immediate fee is often the easier short-term decision for a club to make, banking a guaranteed sum rather than gambling on a player fulfilling his potential inside the first team. Arteta’s comments this week reject that logic outright when it comes to Lewis-Skelly. The value he places on players who grew up inside Arsenal’s system, and who carry what he described as a genuine connection to the club, is being treated as worth more than whatever fee Chelsea or Manchester United might have been willing to offer this summer.

It is also a statement about the culture Arteta has tried to build inside the Arsenal dressing room. A squad stocked with players who came through the academy carries a different feel to one assembled entirely through the transfer market, with a shared history and a set of relationships that stretch back to youth-team football rather than a summer signing period. Keeping Lewis-Skelly, alongside academy contemporaries already established in the first team, reinforces that identity at a moment when the club is trying to establish itself as the dominant force in English football rather than a one-season wonder.

Team News Ahead of the Coventry Opener

Lewis-Skelly’s situation was one of several subjects Arteta addressed before Friday’s game. Bukayo Saka and Declan Rice, both of whom had late returns to pre-season training after extended World Cup duty, have been confirmed fit and available to start, giving Arteta close to a full-strength squad to choose from as Arsenal begin the defence of their Premier League title. Jurrien Timber and William Saliba continue their recovery from injury and remain unavailable, the two notable absentees from an otherwise healthy squad list.

Arsenal enter the season aiming to defend the Premier League title for the first time in almost a century, a challenge Arteta has described as requiring the kind of daily consistency that separates champions from one-off winners. Retaining Lewis-Skelly, rather than cashing in on a player still just a teenager, fits into that same long-term thinking: building a squad capable of competing at the top of English and European football for years rather than one assembled to win a single trophy before being broken up.

Saka and Rice returning fit for the opener gives Arteta a near-complete group to choose from as he sets out to defend the title won last season. Timber and Saliba remain the exceptions, both continuing their recovery programmes rather than travelling with the squad for Friday’s game. Their absence leaves Arteta with decisions to make in defence even as his forward and midfield options return close to full strength, a contrast that will shape team selection heading into a demanding opening block of fixtures.

What Comes Next

The transfer window remains open for a little over a week, giving Chelsea or Manchester United time to test Arsenal’s resolve if either club wishes to. Arteta’s “100 per cent” leaves little room for ambiguity about how such an approach would be received. History suggests Arsenal are prepared to hold that line: the club has resisted approaches for academy graduates before, choosing development over an immediate fee even when rival interest has been persistent and, at times, aggressive.

That pattern adds real credibility to Arteta’s certainty this week. A manager willing to build a Champions League final starting eleven around teenagers raised inside his own academy is unlikely to change course simply for the sake of two of the Premier League’s wealthiest clubs making their interest known. If anything, Lewis-Skelly’s involvement in that final appearance in May strengthens Arteta’s argument rather than making him more vulnerable to being sold, evidence that the pathway from academy to first team at Arsenal now reaches all the way to the biggest games in European football. For Lewis-Skelly, the message from his manager is equally direct: his future lies at Arsenal, in a squad being built to defend a Premier League title, starting with Friday night’s trip to face newly promoted Coventry City at the Emirates Stadium.

Whether Lewis-Skelly features from the start against Coventry remains to be seen, but Arteta’s comments this week have settled, at least from the club’s side, any question over whether he will be an Arsenal player when the transfer window closes on September 1. For a manager who has built his squad around the idea that some players are worth more to Arsenal than any fee could reflect, that certainty was never really in doubt.

Coventry will provide the first test of a squad Arteta has spent the summer both strengthening and protecting, adding proven quality where needed while refusing to let rival clubs pick off the academy talent he considers central to Arsenal’s long-term project. Two words from a press conference will not settle the matter for good, not while a transfer window with more than a week still to run remains open. But for now, at least, Arsenal’s answer on Myles Lewis-Skelly could not have been any clearer, delivered in two words that leave Chelsea and Manchester United with little encouragement to push any further this summer, even with more than a week of the transfer window still to play out.

WRITTEN BY

Jarrod

Jarrod Partridge is the Founder of Futbol Chronicle and an accredited journalist with over 30 years of experience following international football. A member of the AIPS International Sports Press Association, Jarrod has covered matches at stadiums around the world, bringing first-hand insight to every match report, player profile, and tactical analysis he writes.

More articles by Jarrod →

Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment






The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

More in News

Lionel Messi #10 of the Inter Miami FC runs during the MLS Regular season match between Toronto FC (Canada) v Inter Miami CF (USA) at BMO Field. — Photo by pftrip

Lionel Messi Ends Scoring Drought With First Goal for Inter Miami After His Father’s Death

Lionel Messi scored his first goal for Inter Miami on ...

Curtis Jones Set to Leave Liverpool After 16 Years for £30m Inter Milan Move

Curtis Jones joined Liverpool's academy at the age of nine. ...

Frank Lampard’s Coventry Face Arsenal With No Fear After a 25-Year Wait for the Premier League

Four months ago, Coventry City fans lined the streets to ...
Zavier Gozo

Real Salt Lake Sell Zavier Gozo to Crystal Palace in Club-Record $15 Million Deal

Real Salt Lake announced Tuesday it has transferred homegrown winger ...
Andre Luiz seen during Liga Portugal game between teams of CF Estrela Amadora and Rio Ave FC at Estadio Jose Gomes (Maciej Rogowski/Ball Raw Images)

Sporting Kansas City Sign Brazilian Winger Andre Luiz in Club-Record Deal

Sporting Kansas City have added a new attacking piece to ...

Trending on Futbol Chronicle

Why Soccer Is The Best Sport

Soccer has become incredibly popular across the globe in recent ...
Michael Carrick - Rooney says Carrick gave “taste of what it was like under Sir Alex Ferguson”

Michael Carrick admits Manchester United have “no excuses” after AC Milan defeat

Manchester United suffered a 4-2 preseason defeat to AC Milan ...

What Is The Club World Cup?

The FIFA Club World Cup has undergone a significant transformation, ...
Premier League

Map of All the Premier League Teams for 2025/26

The 2025/26 Premier League features 20 clubs spread across England, ...

Josef Martinez Returns to MLS Spotlight With Columbus Crew Signing

Columbus Crew have signed Josef Martinez, bringing one of the ...