Crisis Deepens At Sheffield Wednesday Ahead Of Season Kickoff

A fan of Sheffield Wednesday watches on — Photo by operations@newsimages.co.uk
A fan of Sheffield Wednesday watches on — Photo by operations@newsimages.co.uk

Ten days before the Championship resumes, Sheffield Wednesday’s troubles stretch far beyond the pitch. The departure of manager Danny Röhl and the enforced closure of Hillsborough’s North Stand are the latest in a series of problems engulfing the club.

Players and staff missed their wages in May and June, while fans and local MP Clive Betts are urging owner Dejphon Chansiri to sell. “He must accept that he needs to sell Wednesday to prevent the complete collapse of the club… we as fans deserve better,” said Betts.

Under Chansiri’s ownership since 2015, the club has drifted from promotion dreams to crisis. Initially paying £37.5 million to buy Wednesday from Milan Mandaric, the Thai businessman has since frequently clashed with supporters. Last year, he asked fans to raise £2 million to help cover unpaid taxes and wages.

The English Football League (EFL) has placed the club under multiple embargoes. Currently, they cannot register new players, even on free transfers, due to outstanding debts to HMRC and unpaid wages.

The Professional Footballers’ Association called the situation “shocking” and “not tolerable”, while uncertainty continues over July’s wage payments. Staff have relied on an emergency fund to make ends meet over recent months.

Röhl left by mutual consent earlier this week after briefly returning for pre-season. His exit leaves assistant Henrik Pedersen likely to take charge as the Owls face Leicester City on opening day. The squad he inherits is depleted.

This week saw Akin Famewo and Callum Paterson depart on free transfers, following sales and exits of key attacking players including Djeidi Gassama, Anthony Musaba, Josh Windass, and Michael Smith. Those five were responsible for 55 combined goals and assists last year; just 22 such contributions remain among the current squad.

Captain Barry Bannan still trains with the team, but his contract has expired.

The North Stand will remain closed after Sheffield City Council issued a prohibition notice. Safety tests failed, and the club must complete specific work before supporters can return to that part of Hillsborough. Wednesday say they’re working with the Safety Advisory Group to meet the requirements.

BBC sources say a prospective takeover deal with an interested party looked close but now appears to have stalled. Multiple groups, including one involving businessman Francesco Guardascione, expressed interest. However, no agreement has been finalised, and reports suggest buyers may be put off by Chansiri’s valuation.

Chansiri says he rejected a £40 million offer that included limited future payments in case of Premier League promotion. The figure is considered above market expectations, particularly after the club lost key assets and with a possible points deduction looming as the EFL prepares a ruling on financial charges.

Until something gives—either in negotiations or direction—Sheffield Wednesday remain stuck, unable to build a squad, pay staff reliably, or fill their ground. A new season waits, whether they’re ready or not.

WRITTEN BY

Jarrod

Jarrod Partridge is the Founder of Futbol Chronicle and an accredited journalist with over 30 years of experience following international football. A member of the AIPS International Sports Press Association, Jarrod has covered matches at stadiums around the world, bringing first-hand insight to every match report, player profile, and tactical analysis he writes.

More articles by Jarrod →

Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment






The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

More in News

Leeds United manager Daniel Farke arrives at the stadium prior to kick off during the Emirates FA Cup Third Round match Derby County vs Leeds United at Pride Park Stadium, Derby, United Kingdom, 11th January 2026 — Photo by operations@newsimages.co.uk

Anton Stach’s Miserable Summer Ended With One Kick of a Football

Anton Stach did not get his call-up for Germany this ...

Jack Clarke Made Sunderland Pay for Letting Him Go, With Interest

Sunderland let Jack Clarke go for £15m in the summer ...

Hull Stun Manchester United 2-0 on Premier League Return

Manchester United arrived at the MKM Stadium with genuine optimism ...
Roberto De Zerbi manager of Tottenham Hotspur during the pre-season friendly match Tottenham Hotspur vs Hoffenheim at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, London, United Kingdom on 15 August 2026 — Photo by operations@newsimages.co.uk

Brentford Rout Tottenham 3-0 as De Zerbi’s Rebuild Stumbles

Tottenham Hotspur spent £237m rebuilding their squad this summer. None ...
Mikel Arteta, manager of Arsenal, during the Carabao Cup Round 3 match Port Vale vs Arsenal at Vale Park, Burslem, United Kingdom, 24th September 2025 — Photo by operations@newsimages.co.uk

Arsenal Are Not Defending Their Title, They Are Attacking It, and the Premier League Should Be Worried

Martin Odegaard says Arsenal's mentality is to "attack" the title ...

Trending on Futbol Chronicle

Josef Martinez Returns to MLS Spotlight With Columbus Crew Signing

Columbus Crew have signed Josef Martinez, bringing one of the ...

Cristian Romero completes €40m move from Tottenham to Atlético Madrid

Cristian Romero has completed his transfer from Tottenham Hotspur to ...
Lionel Messi

The Best Soccer Players of All Time: The 10 Greatest Ever Ranked

Ranking the greatest soccer players in history is a debate ...
Premier League

Map of All the Premier League Teams for 2025/26

The 2025/26 Premier League features 20 clubs spread across England, ...
CHORZOW, POLAND - OCTOBER 11, 2018: Football Nations League division A group 3 match Poland vs Portugal 2:3 . In the picture assistant of referee. — Stock Editorial Photography

What Is Offsides in Soccer? The Offside Rule Fully Explained

A player is offside if any part of their head, ...