Cristiano Ronaldo named in Portugal squad for record sixth World Cup
- Cristiano Ronaldo is set to become the first male player to appear at six World Cups.
- Portugal coach Roberto Martínez said the squad will honour the memory of Diogo Jota during the tournament.
- Portugal begin their World Cup campaign against Congo on June 17 in Houston.
Cristiano Ronaldo is set to make history after being named in Portugal national football team’s squad for the 2026 World Cup, a tournament expected to be the final chapter of his extraordinary international career.
The 41-year-old forward was included in Roberto Martínez’s 27-man squad on Tuesday and is now on course to become the first male player ever to feature at six separate World Cups.
Martínez also revealed the squad will carry the memory of the late Diogo Jota throughout the tournament after the Liverpool forward died in a car crash in Spain last year at the age of 28.
Portugal are still searching for their first World Cup triumph and Martínez said the team’s motivation extends beyond football.
Ronaldo heads into the tournament as the most capped male international player in history with 226 appearances and also holds the record for the most international goals with 143.
He is already the only player to have scored in five different World Cups and could now extend that record further in what he previously described as “definitely” his final appearance at the competition.
The former Real Madrid and Manchester United star has continued his career with Al Nassr in the Saudi Pro League and was joined in Portugal’s squad by club teammate João Félix.
Several Premier League and European stars were also selected, including Bernardo Silva, Bruno Fernandes, Nuno Mendes, Vitinha, João Neves and Gonçalo Ramos.
Martínez opted to include four goalkeepers in his squad as Portugal prepare for a demanding tournament schedule.
Portugal have been drawn in Group K alongside Colombia national football team, Uzbekistan national football team and Congo national football team.
Their campaign begins against Congo on June 17 in Houston as Ronaldo prepares for one final shot at the biggest prize in international football.