FA takes no further action over Sir Jim Ratcliffe remarks as Manchester United stress club values
- Football Association issues reminder to Sir Jim Ratcliffe but brings no formal charge
- Kick It Out expresses disappointment and calls for stronger leadership accountability
- Michael Carrick insists comments have not affected unity or performance at Manchester United
Sir Jim Ratcliffe will not face disciplinary action from the Football Association following remarks on immigration that prompted widespread condemnation, including criticism from Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer and Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham.
The Manchester United co-owner came under scrutiny after telling Sky News last week that the United Kingdom had been “colonised by immigrants”. The FA confirmed it had reviewed the comments but has opted only to issue Ratcliffe with a reminder of his responsibilities as a participant in football when speaking publicly, with no further sanction imposed.
Ratcliffe issued a statement the day after the interview, saying he was sorry if his comments had “offended some people”.
Anti-discrimination charity Kick It Out expressed frustration at the FA’s response, arguing that stronger action was required. In a statement, the organisation said it was “disappointed that Sir Jim Ratcliffe has not been given a stronger sanction for bringing the game into disrepute”.
“When speaking in any capacity, he is still a representative and
Michael Carrick, United’s interim head coach, declined to expand on Ratcliffe’s comments when addressing the media for the first time since the controversy emerged, pointing instead to the club’s long standing values.
“Sir Jim has made a statement, and then the club’s made a statement, so for me to add to that is not my place,” Carrick said. “What I can say is, having been around this club many years, we make a huge impact globally. We are really proud of the environment and culture we have, and equality, diversity and respect are things we carry through every day.”
Carrick insisted the episode has not disrupted morale or focus within the squad. Since his appointment following Ruben Amorim’s dismissal in January, United have won four and drawn one of their five matches, and the interim coach said the dressing room remains united.
“We have a really strong group, players and staff, in constant communication,” he said. “The boys have been in really good spirits this week. We have had a little time away, which helped provide a refresh and some clarity.”
United underlined their position in a statement issued after the Sky News interview, reiterating pride in being an inclusive and welcoming club. They return to Premier League action on Monday night with a home fixture against Everton, seeking to build on their recent momentum.