Independent commission says Southampton spying scandal was ‘authorised from the top down’
- Independent commission says Southampton’s spying operation was approved by head coach Tonda Eckert
- Club criticised for using junior staff members to secretly observe opponents’ training sessions
- Saints’ Championship playoff expulsion and four-point deduction upheld after failed appeal
Southampton’s spying operation on rival clubs was “authorised” by head coach Tonda Eckert and formed part of a “contrived and determined plan from the top down to gain a competitive advantage,” according to the written findings of an independent disciplinary commission.
The English Football League has now published the full reasons behind the decision to expel Southampton FC from the Championship playoffs and impose a four-point deduction for next season.
The commission delivered a scathing assessment of the club’s conduct, accusing Southampton of systematically spying on opponents’ training sessions and criticising senior figures for involving junior members of staff in covert operations they believed were “morally wrong.”
The report stated: “We have concluded that there was, on the part of the respondent, a contrived and determined plan from the top down to gain a competitive advantage in competitions of real significance by deliberate attendance at opposition training grounds for the purpose of obtaining tactical and selection information.”
“It involved far more than innocent activity and a particularly deplorable approach in its use of junior members of staff to conduct the clandestine observations at the direction of senior personnel.”
Southampton admitted spying on Middlesbrough FC, Oxford United and Ipswich Town during the 2025-26 season.
The scandal first emerged after a Southampton analyst intern was spotted secretly observing Middlesbrough training ahead of the first leg of the Championship playoff semifinal.
Southampton eventually admitted breaching EFL rules prohibiting clubs from observing opponents within 72 hours of a fixture.
The club were subsequently thrown out of the playoffs, allowing Middlesbrough to be reinstated for Saturday’s final against Hull City AFC at Wembley.
The commission’s findings place particular responsibility on Eckert.
According to the report, the German coach personally approved intelligence-gathering missions in order to obtain tactical information and updates on player availability.
“Mr Eckert accepted that he had specifically authorised the observations to obtain information about formation and about the availability of a key player,” the commission wrote.
In the Middlesbrough case, the information reportedly related to midfielder Hayden Hackney’s fitness status after injury.
The panel rejected Southampton’s argument that the spying produced no meaningful sporting benefit because the club failed to win the matches in question.
Instead, it ruled that the attempt to obtain confidential tactical information itself constituted a sporting advantage regardless of the eventual result.
“It is inherent in having information which your opponent would wish to keep private that you have a sporting advantage,” the commission stated.
The disciplinary panel also criticised Southampton’s initial responses to investigators, accusing the club of providing misleading information early in the process.
The report revealed Southampton initially claimed the conduct was not part of the club’s culture and insisted that no footage had been captured, shared or analysed.
The commission later concluded “the opposite was the case.”
It also dismissed Southampton’s attempt to argue that staff members were unaware of EFL regulation 127, which explicitly bans the observation of opposition training sessions within 72 hours of a match.
Southampton’s appeal against the punishments was unsuccessful.
Alongside the playoff expulsion and four-point deduction, the club also received a formal reprimand.
The written findings are likely to intensify scrutiny on Eckert’s future and could lead to further action from The Football Association, which has already launched a separate investigation into the scandal.