Iran Officials Denied Entry to Canada Ahead of FIFA Congress, Minister Says

Screenshot
Screenshot
  • Canadian minister says Iranian soccer officials were denied entry “unintentionally” before FIFA Congress
  • Reports link decision to alleged ties with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps
  • Uncertainty adds to ongoing tensions surrounding Iran’s World Cup participation

Canada’s Foreign Affairs Minister Anita Anand has said it is her “understanding” that Iranian soccer officials were denied entry into the country ahead of this week’s FIFA Congress in Vancouver, just weeks before the start of the World Cup.

The development centers on officials from the Iranian Football Federation, including president Mehdi Taj. According to reports, Taj and two other representatives were turned away at Toronto’s Pearson Airport despite initially being granted visas.

Anand indicated the situation was not intentional but declined to provide further detail, suggesting responsibility lay with immigration authorities. Canada’s immigration office reiterated that all visa applications are assessed individually, adding that individuals linked to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps are inadmissible under national policy.

The incident comes at a sensitive time for FIFA, which is hosting its annual Congress in Vancouver ahead of the expanded 48-team World Cup set to begin June 11 across the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Representatives from all 211 member federations were expected to attend.

Iranian officials were also absent from the recent Asian Football Confederation Congress earlier in the week, where their participation in the World Cup was not formally discussed despite geopolitical tensions.

Iran remains scheduled to compete in Group G of the tournament, opening against New Zealand on June 15 in California, before facing Egypt and Belgium. FIFA has consistently maintained that Iran will take part as planned and has not indicated any changes to the tournament schedule.

The visa controversy adds another layer of uncertainty around Iran’s involvement, with concerns previously raised about travel logistics and diplomatic complications tied to the ongoing conflict involving the United States and its allies.

FIFA has not issued an official response to the latest developments.

Avatar photo
WRITTEN BY

Hailey

Hailey Russell is a football journalist and former Division 1 collegiate athlete in the United States, bringing a unique blend of elite playing experience and professional insight to her work. Currently competing at the professional level in Europe, Hailey combines first-hand knowledge of the modern game with sharp analysis across match reports, player development, and tactical breakdowns.

More articles by Hailey →

Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment






The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

More in News

Curtis Jones Set to Leave Liverpool After 16 Years for £30m Inter Milan Move

Curtis Jones joined Liverpool's academy at the age of nine. ...

Frank Lampard’s Coventry Face Arsenal With No Fear After a 25-Year Wait for the Premier League

Four months ago, Coventry City fans lined the streets to ...
Zavier Gozo

Real Salt Lake Sell Zavier Gozo to Crystal Palace in Club-Record $15 Million Deal

Real Salt Lake announced Tuesday it has transferred homegrown winger ...
Andre Luiz seen during Liga Portugal game between teams of CF Estrela Amadora and Rio Ave FC at Estadio Jose Gomes (Maciej Rogowski/Ball Raw Images)

Sporting Kansas City Sign Brazilian Winger Andre Luiz in Club-Record Deal

Sporting Kansas City have added a new attacking piece to ...
Ernest Muci, Ezri Konsa during UEFA Europa Conference League 23/24 game between Aston Villa FC and Legia Warszawa at Villa Park, Birmingham, United Kingdom. (Maciej Rogowski) — Photo by mrogowski_photography

Arsenal Agree £51m Deal With Aston Villa to Sign Ezri Konsa

Arsenal have agreed a £51m deal to sign Ezri Konsa ...

Trending on Futbol Chronicle

Michael Carrick - Rooney says Carrick gave “taste of what it was like under Sir Alex Ferguson”

Michael Carrick points to lack of sharpness after Manchester United draw with West Ham

• Michael Carrick cited a lack of sharpness after Manchester ...

Why Soccer Is The Best Sport

Soccer has become incredibly popular across the globe in recent ...
Michael Carrick - Rooney says Carrick gave “taste of what it was like under Sir Alex Ferguson”

Michael Carrick admits Manchester United have “no excuses” after AC Milan defeat

Manchester United suffered a 4-2 preseason defeat to AC Milan ...

Josef Martinez Returns to MLS Spotlight With Columbus Crew Signing

Columbus Crew have signed Josef Martinez, bringing one of the ...
Premier League

Map of All the Premier League Teams for 2025/26

The 2025/26 Premier League features 20 clubs spread across England, ...