Gary Neville urges Michael Carrick to start Benjamin Sesko and drop Amad Diallo for Crystal Palace clash

Gary Neville urges Michael Carrick to start Benjamin Sesko and drop Amad Diallo for Crystal Palace clash
Gary Neville urges Michael Carrick to start Benjamin Sesko and drop Amad Diallo for Crystal Palace clash
Advertisement
Advertisement
  • Neville says Sesko has earned a starting role after decisive recent goals
  • United forward has scored three times in his last four appearances
  • Carrick faces selection dilemma ahead of Sunday’s Premier League match

Gary Neville has called on Michael Carrick to hand Benjamin Sesko his first Premier League start under the Manchester United head coach and leave Amad Diallo out of the side for Sunday’s meeting with Crystal Palace.

Sesko has strengthened his case for inclusion with a series of influential substitute appearances, most recently scoring the 71stminute winner in Monday’s 1-0 victory away to Everton. The 23 year-old completed a swift counter attack before finishing calmly into the bottom corner after an unselfish square pass from Bryan Mbeumo.

That goal followed a stoppage-time equaliser at West Ham and a decisive strike in a 3-2 win over Fulham, making it three important contributions in his last four outings. Despite that form, Carrick has so far preferred Matheus Cunha, Mbeumo and Diallo as his attacking trio, keeping Sesko on the bench in recent fixtures.

Neville believes the balance now tips firmly in the Slovenian’s favour.

“For Sesko now, I think he starts on Sunday against Crystal Palace,” Neville told Sky Sports. “I haven’t always been convinced about him this season, but what you have to do is move with what you see. He looks like he is growing in his game, in his body, and his confidence is high. I think now Michael Carrick starts him.”

The former United defender suggested that Diallo would be the player to make way, even though he has also impressed this season.

“I think what you’ll see on Sunday is Cunha to the left, Mbeumo to the right, Sesko up top and Bruno in behind,” Neville said. “I think Amad will just slip out for a game. He has been really good, but I think Sesko starts.”

Neville also pointed to Sesko’s animated celebration after scoring at Everton as a sign of his growing belief and determination.

“That celebration was a message,” he said. “Mainly to those United fans in the corner, but also to say, get me in this team now, I start next time.”

Since completing his £74 million move from RB Leipzig last summer, Sesko has scored eight goals in 24 appearances. After a slow start, his recent run of form suggests he is now finding his rhythm, leaving Carrick with a significant decision as United look to maintain momentum in the race for a top-four finish.

Avatar photo
WRITTEN BY

Hailey

Hailey Russell is a football journalist and former Division 1 collegiate athlete in the United States, bringing a unique blend of elite playing experience and professional insight to her work. Currently competing at the professional level in Europe, Hailey combines first-hand knowledge of the modern game with sharp analysis across match reports, player development, and tactical breakdowns.

More articles by Hailey →
Advertisement
Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment






The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Advertisement

More in News

Frank Lampard manager of Coventry City celebrates the 3-5 win with the traveling fans during the Sky Bet Championship match Derby County vs Coventry City at Pride Park Stadium, Derby, United Kingdom, 16th August 2025 — Photo by operations@newsimages.co.uk

Frank Lampard’s Coventry Face Arsenal With No Fear After a 25-Year Wait for the Premier League

Four months ago, Coventry City fans lined the streets to ...
Lionel Messi #10 of the Inter Miami FC runs during the MLS Regular season match between Toronto FC (Canada) v Inter Miami CF (USA) at BMO Field. — Photo by pftrip

Lionel Messi Ends Scoring Drought With First Goal for Inter Miami After His Father’s Death

Lionel Messi scored his first goal for Inter Miami on ...
Mikel Arteta of Arsenal acknowledges the fans after the teams victory following the Premier League match Manchester United vs Arsenal at Old Trafford, Manchester, United Kingdom, 17th August 2025 — Photo by operations@newsimages.co.uk

Mikel Arteta Says He Is “100 Per Cent” Certain Arsenal Will Keep Myles Lewis-Skelly

Asked directly whether he was confident Myles Lewis-Skelly will still ...

Curtis Jones Set to Leave Liverpool After 16 Years for £30m Inter Milan Move

Curtis Jones joined Liverpool's academy at the age of nine. ...
Zavier Gozo

Real Salt Lake Sell Zavier Gozo to Crystal Palace in Club-Record $15 Million Deal

Real Salt Lake announced Tuesday it has transferred homegrown winger ...
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending on Futbol Chronicle

Premier League West Ham United v Arsenal - Mikel Arteta blames schedule as Arsenal injury list grows

Mikel Arteta backs ‘warrior’ Bruno Guimarães to make Arsenal stronger

Mikel Arteta believes Bruno Guimarães can bring leadership, intensity and ...

Josef Martinez Returns to MLS Spotlight With Columbus Crew Signing

Columbus Crew have signed Josef Martinez, bringing one of the ...

Cristian Romero completes €40m move from Tottenham to Atlético Madrid

Cristian Romero has completed his transfer from Tottenham Hotspur to ...
Michael Carrick - Rooney says Carrick gave “taste of what it was like under Sir Alex Ferguson”

Michael Carrick points to lack of sharpness after Manchester United draw with West Ham

• Michael Carrick cited a lack of sharpness after Manchester ...

Arab football federations back Gianni Infantino as FIFA president faces growing opposition

Six Arab football federations have expressed their “full support” for ...
Advertisement
Advertisement