Real Madrid Fine Valverde and Tchouaméni After Training Ground Bust-Up

Screenshot
Screenshot
  • Real Madrid have fined Federico Valverde and Aurélien Tchouaméni €500,000 each after a training ground altercation
  • Valverde will miss this weekend’s Clásico after suffering a head injury during the incident
  • The clash adds to growing tension inside a Madrid dressing room facing another trophyless season

Real Madrid have fined midfielders Federico Valverde and Aurélien Tchouaméni €500,000 each following an explosive confrontation at the club’s training ground.

The incident took place after Thursday’s training session and left Valverde requiring hospital treatment for a cut to his forehead. The Uruguay international was later diagnosed with cranioencephalic trauma and has been ruled out of Sunday’s Clásico against Barcelona.

Madrid confirmed disciplinary action in a statement on Friday, saying both players had apologised to each other, the squad and supporters before accepting the club’s punishment.

“During the appearance, the players expressed their deep regret for what happened and apologized to each other,” the club said.

“They have also apologized to the club, their teammates, the coaching staff and the fans.”

There was an effort publicly to lower the temperature around the incident, but privately it reflects a season in which tensions inside the dressing room have repeatedly surfaced.

Sources told ESPN the confrontation began following a heated training match involving several heavy tackles. Tchouaméni reportedly returned to the changing room before Valverde followed moments later, visibly angry, with the argument escalating from there.

Valverde later addressed the situation himself on Instagram, insisting reports of a violent fight had been exaggerated.

“My teammate didn’t hit me, nor did I hit him,” he wrote.

“Although I understand that for you it might be easier to believe that we beat the hell out of each other or that he intentionally injured me, that is not what happened.”

The midfielder admitted, however, that the episode reflected wider frustrations building inside the squad during a deeply disappointing campaign.

“It hurts to see what we are currently going through,” he added. “This outcome is the culmination of various factors that ultimately resulted in a senseless altercation.”

That line perhaps revealed more than anything else.

Madrid’s season has increasingly felt like a club straining against itself. Barcelona are now within touching distance of the LaLiga title, the Champions League campaign has already collapsed and uncertainty continues around the dugout after another managerial change.

The atmosphere around Valdebebas has become increasingly fractured in recent weeks.

Sources previously told ESPN that defender Antonio Rüdiger was involved in a separate dressing-room altercation with teammate Álvaro Carreras, while disagreements have also emerged between interim boss Álvaro Arbeloa and senior members of the squad.

There have reportedly been further tensions involving Kylian Mbappé and coaching staff, while the departures and instability of the past two years continue to hang over the club.

Madrid are now searching for what would become their fourth manager in two seasons, with names including José Mourinho, Jürgen Klopp, Didier Deschamps and Unai Emery all linked internally.

For now, though, the immediate focus is Sunday’s Clásico.

Madrid must win to keep the title race alive. They will have to do it without Valverde, and with another reminder that the biggest problems at the club right now may not be tactical ones.

Avatar photo
WRITTEN BY

Hailey

Hailey Russell is a football journalist and former Division 1 collegiate athlete in the United States, bringing a unique blend of elite playing experience and professional insight to her work. Currently competing at the professional level in Europe, Hailey combines first-hand knowledge of the modern game with sharp analysis across match reports, player development, and tactical breakdowns.

More articles by Hailey →

Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment






The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

More in News

Curtis Jones Set to Leave Liverpool After 16 Years for £30m Inter Milan Move

Curtis Jones joined Liverpool's academy at the age of nine. ...

Frank Lampard’s Coventry Face Arsenal With No Fear After a 25-Year Wait for the Premier League

Four months ago, Coventry City fans lined the streets to ...
Zavier Gozo

Real Salt Lake Sell Zavier Gozo to Crystal Palace in Club-Record $15 Million Deal

Real Salt Lake announced Tuesday it has transferred homegrown winger ...
Andre Luiz seen during Liga Portugal game between teams of CF Estrela Amadora and Rio Ave FC at Estadio Jose Gomes (Maciej Rogowski/Ball Raw Images)

Sporting Kansas City Sign Brazilian Winger Andre Luiz in Club-Record Deal

Sporting Kansas City have added a new attacking piece to ...
Ernest Muci, Ezri Konsa during UEFA Europa Conference League 23/24 game between Aston Villa FC and Legia Warszawa at Villa Park, Birmingham, United Kingdom. (Maciej Rogowski) — Photo by mrogowski_photography

Arsenal Agree £51m Deal With Aston Villa to Sign Ezri Konsa

Arsenal have agreed a £51m deal to sign Ezri Konsa ...

Trending on Futbol Chronicle

Lionel Messi

The Best Soccer Players of All Time: The 10 Greatest Ever Ranked

Ranking the greatest soccer players in history is a debate ...
Premier League West Ham United v Arsenal - Mikel Arteta blames schedule as Arsenal injury list grows

Mikel Arteta backs ‘warrior’ Bruno Guimarães to make Arsenal stronger

Mikel Arteta believes Bruno Guimarães can bring leadership, intensity and ...
Michael Carrick - Rooney says Carrick gave “taste of what it was like under Sir Alex Ferguson”

Michael Carrick points to lack of sharpness after Manchester United draw with West Ham

• Michael Carrick cited a lack of sharpness after Manchester ...

What Is The Club World Cup?

The FIFA Club World Cup has undergone a significant transformation, ...

Celta Vigo postpones LaLiga opener after fungus outbreak damages stadium pitch

Celta Vigo’s LaLiga opener against Osasuna has been postponed because ...