Carlo Ancelotti rejects Italy approach as Brazil coach commits to new World Cup cycle

Screenshot
Screenshot
  • Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed he turned down an approach from Italy, choosing to honour his commitment to Brazil.
  • The Brazil head coach says he remains focused on building a new generation following the team’s disappointing World Cup campaign.
  • Ancelotti expects squad changes ahead of the next international cycle, with several experienced players nearing the end of their time with the national team.

Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed he rejected the opportunity to become Italy head coach, insisting his commitment to Brazil and the Brazilian Football Confederation remains his priority.

The Italian was approached after Italy failed to qualify for a third consecutive FIFA World Cup, with former technical director Paolo Maldini revealing last week that he contacted his former AC Milan teammate about taking the position.

Ancelotti, though, said the decision had nothing to do with contract negotiations and everything to do with honouring the commitment he made when accepting the Brazil job.

“It’s not a contract issue; that’s not the reason,” Ancelotti told ESPN.

“It’s because I have a commitment to the CBF and to this country, because this country has welcomed me so warmly during this first year.”

“I want to stay here. And I thanked the Italian Federation, of course, but I want to stay here because I believe it’s right and fair to remain in a country that has welcomed me so warmly, at an institution that has given me the opportunity to work.”

After Ancelotti declined the role, Italy’s search for a new manager continued. Pep Guardiola also rejected an approach from the Italian Football Federation, while negotiations with Andrea Pirlo later collapsed. Roberto Mancini was eventually appointed for a second spell as Italy head coach earlier this week.

Ancelotti extended his contract with Brazil through the 2030 World Cup in May after taking charge shortly following his departure from Real Madrid.

His first major tournament in charge ended in disappointment as Brazil suffered a round-of-16 exit to Norway, their earliest World Cup elimination since 1990.

The 67-year-old acknowledged the campaign fell well below expectations but believes the focus must now shift toward rebuilding.

“The World Cup result wasn’t good; it disappointed everyone, and we’re all sad,” Ancelotti said.

“But we have to look back at what’s already happened with one eye and look toward the future with the other, because this next group of players, this country has talented players, and we can build a positive future.”

Brazil are expected to enter the next international cycle with a significantly refreshed squad.

Neymar confirmed on Tuesday that his international career has come to an end, while several experienced players are approaching the latter stages of their time with the national team.

Ancelotti believes every successful international side must eventually embrace change.

“I believe that, historically, one generation comes to an end and another must take its place; it has to be better than the last,” he said.

When asked about the futures of senior players including Alisson Becker, Casemiro, Danilo and Alex Sandro, Ancelotti stopped short of ruling any of them out completely but accepted that Brazil’s squad will evolve.

“What we think is that some might make the squad, but we have to look toward a new cycle, and we’re going to look toward a new cycle and bring in new players,” he said.

“It’s a chapter that’s coming to an end. Obviously, we have to thank all of them, and I have a lot of affection for all of them.”

Avatar photo
WRITTEN BY

Hailey

Hailey Russell is a football journalist and former Division 1 collegiate athlete in the United States, bringing a unique blend of elite playing experience and professional insight to her work. Currently competing at the professional level in Europe, Hailey combines first-hand knowledge of the modern game with sharp analysis across match reports, player development, and tactical breakdowns.

More articles by Hailey →

Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment






The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

More in News

Zavier Gozo

Real Salt Lake Sell Zavier Gozo to Crystal Palace in Club-Record $15 Million Deal

Real Salt Lake announced Tuesday it has transferred homegrown winger ...
Andre Luiz seen during Liga Portugal game between teams of CF Estrela Amadora and Rio Ave FC at Estadio Jose Gomes (Maciej Rogowski/Ball Raw Images)

Sporting Kansas City Sign Brazilian Winger Andre Luiz in Club-Record Deal

Sporting Kansas City have added a new attacking piece to ...
Ernest Muci, Ezri Konsa during UEFA Europa Conference League 23/24 game between Aston Villa FC and Legia Warszawa at Villa Park, Birmingham, United Kingdom. (Maciej Rogowski) — Photo by mrogowski_photography

Arsenal Agree £51m Deal With Aston Villa to Sign Ezri Konsa

Arsenal have agreed a £51m deal to sign Ezri Konsa ...

Manchester United Close In on Carlos Baleba as Third Midfield Signing of the Summer

Manchester United are closing in on a deal for Brighton ...
Madrid, Spain - April 30, 2026: Champions League semi-final match between Atletico Madrid and Arsenal played in Madrid. Champions League. Premier League. — Photo by Musiu0

Arsenal Vow to Become ‘Best Club in the World’ as Arteta and Garlick Outline Transfer Plan

Mikel Arteta says Arsenal's ambition stretches well beyond defending their ...

Trending on Futbol Chronicle

Michael Carrick - Rooney says Carrick gave “taste of what it was like under Sir Alex Ferguson”

Michael Carrick admits Manchester United have “no excuses” after AC Milan defeat

Manchester United suffered a 4-2 preseason defeat to AC Milan ...

What Is The Club World Cup?

The FIFA Club World Cup has undergone a significant transformation, ...

Josef Martinez Returns to MLS Spotlight With Columbus Crew Signing

Columbus Crew have signed Josef Martinez, bringing one of the ...

Celta Vigo postpones LaLiga opener after fungus outbreak damages stadium pitch

Celta Vigo’s LaLiga opener against Osasuna has been postponed because ...
CHORZOW, POLAND - OCTOBER 11, 2018: Football Nations League division A group 3 match Poland vs Portugal 2:3 . In the picture assistant of referee. — Stock Editorial Photography

What Is Offsides in Soccer? The Offside Rule Fully Explained

A player is offside if any part of their head, ...