DR Congo vs Chile World Cup Friendly Canceled Over Ebola Health Concerns

Screenshot
Screenshot
  • DR Congo’s planned World Cup warm-up match against Chile in Spain has been canceled because of health concerns linked to the Ebola outbreak in the African nation.
  • Local authorities in La Línea de la Concepción blocked the fixture following recommendations from regional health officials.
  • DR Congo’s World Cup preparations continue to be disrupted as the team remains in a controlled training bubble in Belgium ahead of the tournament.

The Democratic Republic of Congo’s pre-World Cup friendly against Chile, scheduled to take place in southern Spain, has been canceled because of health concerns surrounding the Ebola outbreak affecting the African country.

The match had been due to take place on June 9 at the 10,000-capacity stadium in La Línea de la Concepción, near the border with Gibraltar. However, local authorities confirmed on Tuesday that the fixture would not go ahead following health recommendations.

Mayor Juan Franco announced the decision after receiving advice from the town’s health service.

“I have signed the decree banning the holding of the match between the DR Congo and Chile,” Franco said.

“A report by the head of the mayoralty’s health service of La Línea advised categorically against hosting the match given the health risks which might arise.”

According to Spanish news agency EFE, Chile requested that the game be played behind closed doors, but the proposal was ultimately rejected.

The cancellation represents another setback for DR Congo as the nation prepares for its first World Cup appearance since 1974, when the country competed under the name Zaire.

Preparations for the tournament have already been heavily disrupted by the Ebola outbreak in the eastern part of the country. In May, DR Congo canceled a planned three-day training camp and a farewell event for supporters in the capital city of Kinshasa.

The World Health Organization has declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern.

As of May 27, the WHO reported 906 suspected cases and 223 deaths linked to the rare Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, which has also spread into neighboring Uganda.

Following the cancellation of domestic preparations, DR Congo relocated its training base to Belgium, where the squad remains ahead of the World Cup. The team is scheduled to face Denmark in a friendly match in Liège on Wednesday.

The outbreak has also led to international scrutiny regarding DR Congo’s participation in the tournament. Last month, White House Task Force executive director Andrew Giuliani confirmed the United States had imposed strict requirements on the team before entry into the country.

Giuliani said DR Congo’s squad must remain isolated in a secure bubble in Belgium for 21 days or risk being denied entry to the United States.

“We’ve been very clear to Congo that they should maintain the integrity of their bubble for 21 days before they can then come to Houston on June 11th,” Giuliani told ESPN.

“We’ve made it very clear to the Congo government as well, that they need to maintain that bubble or they risk not being able to travel to the United States. We cannot be any clearer.”

The 2026 FIFA World Cup begins on June 11 across the United States, Canada and Mexico.

DR Congo are set to open their Group K campaign against Portugal in Houston on June 17 before facing Colombia in Guadalajara on June 24. Their final group-stage fixture will be against Uzbekistan in Atlanta on June 28.

Avatar photo
WRITTEN BY

Hailey

Hailey Russell is a football journalist and former Division 1 collegiate athlete in the United States, bringing a unique blend of elite playing experience and professional insight to her work. Currently competing at the professional level in Europe, Hailey combines first-hand knowledge of the modern game with sharp analysis across match reports, player development, and tactical breakdowns.

More articles by Hailey →

Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment






The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

More in News

Zavier Gozo

Real Salt Lake Sell Zavier Gozo to Crystal Palace in Club-Record $15 Million Deal

Real Salt Lake announced Tuesday it has transferred homegrown winger ...
Andre Luiz seen during Liga Portugal game between teams of CF Estrela Amadora and Rio Ave FC at Estadio Jose Gomes (Maciej Rogowski/Ball Raw Images)

Sporting Kansas City Sign Brazilian Winger Andre Luiz in Club-Record Deal

Sporting Kansas City have added a new attacking piece to ...
Ernest Muci, Ezri Konsa during UEFA Europa Conference League 23/24 game between Aston Villa FC and Legia Warszawa at Villa Park, Birmingham, United Kingdom. (Maciej Rogowski) — Photo by mrogowski_photography

Arsenal Agree £51m Deal With Aston Villa to Sign Ezri Konsa

Arsenal have agreed a £51m deal to sign Ezri Konsa ...

Manchester United Close In on Carlos Baleba as Third Midfield Signing of the Summer

Manchester United are closing in on a deal for Brighton ...
Madrid, Spain - April 30, 2026: Champions League semi-final match between Atletico Madrid and Arsenal played in Madrid. Champions League. Premier League. — Photo by Musiu0

Arsenal Vow to Become ‘Best Club in the World’ as Arteta and Garlick Outline Transfer Plan

Mikel Arteta says Arsenal's ambition stretches well beyond defending their ...

Trending on Futbol Chronicle

Arab football federations back Gianni Infantino as FIFA president faces growing opposition

Six Arab football federations have expressed their “full support” for ...

What Is The Club World Cup?

The FIFA Club World Cup has undergone a significant transformation, ...
CHORZOW, POLAND - OCTOBER 11, 2018: Football Nations League division A group 3 match Poland vs Portugal 2:3 . In the picture assistant of referee. — Stock Editorial Photography

What Is Offsides in Soccer? The Offside Rule Fully Explained

A player is offside if any part of their head, ...
Michael Carrick - Rooney says Carrick gave “taste of what it was like under Sir Alex Ferguson”

Michael Carrick admits Manchester United have “no excuses” after AC Milan defeat

Manchester United suffered a 4-2 preseason defeat to AC Milan ...
Premier League West Ham United v Arsenal - Mikel Arteta blames schedule as Arsenal injury list grows

Mikel Arteta backs ‘warrior’ Bruno Guimarães to make Arsenal stronger

Mikel Arteta believes Bruno Guimarães can bring leadership, intensity and ...