FIFA says 2026 World Cup will proceed despite Middle East conflict

World Cup
World Cup
  • FIFA says the 2026 FIFA World Cup will continue as planned
  • Heimo Schirgi says the tournament is “too big” to be halted
  • Uncertainty remains over Iran national football team participation due to regional conflict

Heimo Schirgi said the 2026 FIFA World Cup will proceed as planned despite the ongoing conflict in the Middle East and uncertainty surrounding the participation of Iran national football team.

Speaking at the International Broadcast Centre in Dallas on Monday, Schirgi said FIFA expects the tournament to continue regardless of geopolitical developments.

“At some stage we will have a resolution and the World Cup will go on obviously,” Schirgi said. “The World Cup is too big and we hope that everyone can participate that has qualified.”

Schirgi said FIFA is monitoring developments in the region closely while working with government and international partners to assess the situation on a daily basis.

The governing body confirmed last week that it is keeping a close watch on events in Iran ahead of the tournament, which begins in June.

Iran qualified for the World Cup through the Asian Football Confederation qualification process.

Under the current schedule, Iran are set to play Belgium national football team, New Zealand national football team and Egypt national football team in Group G.

Two of those matches are planned to take place in Los Angeles and one in Seattle.

Schirgi said FIFA has been in contact with Iran’s football federation but declined to provide details about those discussions.

The 2026 World Cup will be the largest in the tournament’s history, with 48 national teams competing across three host countries.

The United States will stage matches in 11 cities, while Mexico will host games in three cities and Canada in two.

FIFA officials were in Dallas to announce plans for the city’s fan festival ahead of the tournament. The International Broadcast Centre inside the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center is currently under construction.

Schirgi said the media facility will operate around the clock during the tournament and is expected to host between 3,000 and 3,500 journalists and broadcast staff.

Avatar photo
WRITTEN BY

Hailey

Hailey Russell is a football journalist and former Division 1 collegiate athlete in the United States, bringing a unique blend of elite playing experience and professional insight to her work. Currently competing at the professional level in Europe, Hailey combines first-hand knowledge of the modern game with sharp analysis across match reports, player development, and tactical breakdowns.

More articles by Hailey →

Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment






The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

More in News

Curtis Jones Set to Leave Liverpool After 16 Years for £30m Inter Milan Move

Curtis Jones joined Liverpool's academy at the age of nine. ...

Frank Lampard’s Coventry Face Arsenal With No Fear After a 25-Year Wait for the Premier League

Four months ago, Coventry City fans lined the streets to ...
Zavier Gozo

Real Salt Lake Sell Zavier Gozo to Crystal Palace in Club-Record $15 Million Deal

Real Salt Lake announced Tuesday it has transferred homegrown winger ...
Andre Luiz seen during Liga Portugal game between teams of CF Estrela Amadora and Rio Ave FC at Estadio Jose Gomes (Maciej Rogowski/Ball Raw Images)

Sporting Kansas City Sign Brazilian Winger Andre Luiz in Club-Record Deal

Sporting Kansas City have added a new attacking piece to ...
Ernest Muci, Ezri Konsa during UEFA Europa Conference League 23/24 game between Aston Villa FC and Legia Warszawa at Villa Park, Birmingham, United Kingdom. (Maciej Rogowski) — Photo by mrogowski_photography

Arsenal Agree £51m Deal With Aston Villa to Sign Ezri Konsa

Arsenal have agreed a £51m deal to sign Ezri Konsa ...

Trending on Futbol Chronicle

Cristian Romero completes €40m move from Tottenham to Atlético Madrid

Cristian Romero has completed his transfer from Tottenham Hotspur to ...
Michael Carrick - Rooney says Carrick gave “taste of what it was like under Sir Alex Ferguson”

Michael Carrick admits Manchester United have “no excuses” after AC Milan defeat

Manchester United suffered a 4-2 preseason defeat to AC Milan ...

Arab football federations back Gianni Infantino as FIFA president faces growing opposition

Six Arab football federations have expressed their “full support” for ...
2026 World Cup ball

The Best World Cup YouTubers to Follow in 2026

The 2026 World Cup is the biggest in the tournament's ...
Premier League West Ham United v Arsenal - Mikel Arteta blames schedule as Arsenal injury list grows

Mikel Arteta backs ‘warrior’ Bruno Guimarães to make Arsenal stronger

Mikel Arteta believes Bruno Guimarães can bring leadership, intensity and ...