Howe Urges Gordon to Ignore Arsenal Transfer Talk

Anthony Gordon
Anthony Gordon
Advertisement
Advertisement
  • Newcastle boss keen to avoid repeat of Isak saga
  • Gordon in strong form ahead of Everton clash
  • Magpies braced for Barcelona test in Champions League

Newcastle United head coach Eddie Howe has urged striker Anthony Gordon to block out speculation linking him with a summer move to Arsenal, insisting the forward must remain fully focused on the challenges ahead.

Reports on Friday suggested the 25-year-old, who scored four goals in last week’s Champions League play-off first-leg win over Qarabag, is being targeted by the title-chasing Gunners. With Newcastle still dealing with the fallout from Alexander Isak’s high-profile departure to Liverpool last summer, Howe admitted he could do without another prolonged transfer saga.

“I’m not sure there’s a lot I can do about that,” Howe said ahead of Saturday’s Premier League meeting with Gordon’s former club Everton. “I’ve not seen the story, so it’s news to me.

“But we’re mid-season, we’re in the middle of some of the biggest games of his career and who knows what’s going to happen internationally with him in the summer as well? He’s not got time to look left or right, he’s got to be fully focused on straight ahead and the next game and trying to be as good as he can be.”

Gordon, who signed a new long-term contract in October 2024, previously dismissed rumours of an imminent exit and will be hoping his current form earns him a place in Thomas Tuchel’s England squad for this summer’s World Cup finals.

Howe is confident the winger will not be unsettled by persistent transfer talk.

“Only if he reads it, I suppose,” the 48-year-old added. “In this age, there’s always rumour and speculation.

“I don’t see probably 90% of it – I’m sure the players probably see more than I do – but it comes with the territory of being a top player. You’ve just got to put it out of your brain and focus on the football. There’s no time for distractions.”

Speaking before Newcastle learned their Champions League last-16 opponents – later confirmed as Barcelona – Howe was also asked why several of his players have recently been linked with moves away, including Tino Livramento, Lewis Hall, Malick Thiaw, Sandro Tonali and Nick Woltemade.

“You tell me,” he said. “It’s your industry that’s creating those stories. I think it’s irrelevant, really. It’s how the players take to that.

“If the players absorb it and it affects them, then of course that’s a negative. But I think our players are robust enough to ignore it.”

Avatar photo
WRITTEN BY

Hailey

Hailey Russell is a football journalist and former Division 1 collegiate athlete in the United States, bringing a unique blend of elite playing experience and professional insight to her work. Currently competing at the professional level in Europe, Hailey combines first-hand knowledge of the modern game with sharp analysis across match reports, player development, and tactical breakdowns.

More articles by Hailey →
Advertisement
Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment






The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Advertisement

More in News

Zavier Gozo

Real Salt Lake Sell Zavier Gozo to Crystal Palace in Club-Record $15 Million Deal

Real Salt Lake announced Tuesday it has transferred homegrown winger ...
Andre Luiz seen during Liga Portugal game between teams of CF Estrela Amadora and Rio Ave FC at Estadio Jose Gomes (Maciej Rogowski/Ball Raw Images)

Sporting Kansas City Sign Brazilian Winger Andre Luiz in Club-Record Deal

Sporting Kansas City have added a new attacking piece to ...
Ernest Muci, Ezri Konsa during UEFA Europa Conference League 23/24 game between Aston Villa FC and Legia Warszawa at Villa Park, Birmingham, United Kingdom. (Maciej Rogowski) — Photo by mrogowski_photography

Arsenal Agree £51m Deal With Aston Villa to Sign Ezri Konsa

Arsenal have agreed a £51m deal to sign Ezri Konsa ...

Manchester United Close In on Carlos Baleba as Third Midfield Signing of the Summer

Manchester United are closing in on a deal for Brighton ...
Madrid, Spain - April 30, 2026: Champions League semi-final match between Atletico Madrid and Arsenal played in Madrid. Champions League. Premier League. — Photo by Musiu0

Arsenal Vow to Become ‘Best Club in the World’ as Arteta and Garlick Outline Transfer Plan

Mikel Arteta says Arsenal's ambition stretches well beyond defending their ...
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending on Futbol Chronicle

Why Soccer Is The Best Sport

Soccer has become incredibly popular across the globe in recent ...

Cristian Romero completes €40m move from Tottenham to Atlético Madrid

Cristian Romero has completed his transfer from Tottenham Hotspur to ...
Premier League West Ham United v Arsenal - Mikel Arteta blames schedule as Arsenal injury list grows

Mikel Arteta backs ‘warrior’ Bruno Guimarães to make Arsenal stronger

Mikel Arteta believes Bruno Guimarães can bring leadership, intensity and ...

What Is The Club World Cup?

The FIFA Club World Cup has undergone a significant transformation, ...
Michael Carrick - Rooney says Carrick gave “taste of what it was like under Sir Alex Ferguson”

Michael Carrick admits Manchester United have “no excuses” after AC Milan defeat

Manchester United suffered a 4-2 preseason defeat to AC Milan ...
Advertisement
Advertisement