Iran Seek to Move World Cup Matches to Mexico Amid Security Concerns

iran - Iran Unlikely to Compete at 2026 World Cup, Sports Minister Says
iran - Iran Unlikely to Compete at 2026 World Cup, Sports Minister Says
Advertisement
Advertisement
  • Iran national football team are in talks to move their 2026 FIFA World Cup matches from the United States to Mexico.
  • Federation president Mehdi Taj cited safety concerns following regional tensions involving the United States and Israel.
  • FIFA has yet to confirm any changes, with opponents continuing preparations as scheduled.

Iran are seeking to have their World Cup matches relocated from the United States to Mexico due to ongoing security concerns.

The Middle Eastern nation’s participation in the 2026 FIFA World Cup has come under scrutiny following recent conflict involving the United States and Israel, which included air strikes on Iran and subsequent retaliation targeting U.S. bases in the Gulf region.

U.S. President Donald Trump said last week that he did not believe it was appropriate for Iran to participate in the tournament “for their own life and safety.”

In response, Iran’s football federation president Mehdi Taj said the country is now in discussions with FIFA to move their matches to Mexico.

“When Trump has explicitly stated that he cannot ensure the security of the Iranian national team, we will certainly not travel to America,” Taj said in a statement.

“We are currently negotiating with FIFA to hold Iran’s matches in the World Cup in Mexico.”

Iran are currently scheduled to play all three of their group-stage matches in the United States, including fixtures in Los Angeles against New Zealand national football teamand Belgium national football team, before facing Egypt national football team in Seattle.

Relocating the matches at this stage would present significant logistical challenges, particularly as Iran could still be required to play knockout games in the United States depending on their group position.

FIFA has not yet commented on the situation.

Meanwhile, officials connected to Iran’s opponents have indicated they are continuing preparations as planned.

Andrew Pragnell, chief executive of New Zealand Football, expressed doubt that FIFA would agree to move the fixtures.

New Zealand head coach Darren Bazeley also confirmed his team is preparing to face Iran as scheduled.

“Right now we’re still continuing as though we’re playing Iran,” Bazeley said.

“They’re the team that qualified and we got drawn against them. That’s still the fixture and until we get told otherwise, we’ll continue with that preparation.”

Any final decision is expected to rest with FIFA and tournament organisers as the situation continues to develop.

Avatar photo
WRITTEN BY

Hailey

Hailey Russell is a football journalist and former Division 1 collegiate athlete in the United States, bringing a unique blend of elite playing experience and professional insight to her work. Currently competing at the professional level in Europe, Hailey combines first-hand knowledge of the modern game with sharp analysis across match reports, player development, and tactical breakdowns.

More articles by Hailey →
Advertisement
Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment






The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

Advertisement

More in News

Curtis Jones Set to Leave Liverpool After 16 Years for £30m Inter Milan Move

Curtis Jones joined Liverpool's academy at the age of nine. ...

Frank Lampard’s Coventry Face Arsenal With No Fear After a 25-Year Wait for the Premier League

Four months ago, Coventry City fans lined the streets to ...
Zavier Gozo

Real Salt Lake Sell Zavier Gozo to Crystal Palace in Club-Record $15 Million Deal

Real Salt Lake announced Tuesday it has transferred homegrown winger ...
Andre Luiz seen during Liga Portugal game between teams of CF Estrela Amadora and Rio Ave FC at Estadio Jose Gomes (Maciej Rogowski/Ball Raw Images)

Sporting Kansas City Sign Brazilian Winger Andre Luiz in Club-Record Deal

Sporting Kansas City have added a new attacking piece to ...
Ernest Muci, Ezri Konsa during UEFA Europa Conference League 23/24 game between Aston Villa FC and Legia Warszawa at Villa Park, Birmingham, United Kingdom. (Maciej Rogowski) — Photo by mrogowski_photography

Arsenal Agree £51m Deal With Aston Villa to Sign Ezri Konsa

Arsenal have agreed a £51m deal to sign Ezri Konsa ...
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending on Futbol Chronicle

What Is The Club World Cup?

The FIFA Club World Cup has undergone a significant transformation, ...
CHORZOW, POLAND - OCTOBER 11, 2018: Football Nations League division A group 3 match Poland vs Portugal 2:3 . In the picture assistant of referee. — Stock Editorial Photography

What Is Offsides in Soccer? The Offside Rule Fully Explained

A player is offside if any part of their head, ...
Michael Carrick - Rooney says Carrick gave “taste of what it was like under Sir Alex Ferguson”

Michael Carrick admits Manchester United have “no excuses” after AC Milan defeat

Manchester United suffered a 4-2 preseason defeat to AC Milan ...
Premier League West Ham United v Arsenal - Mikel Arteta blames schedule as Arsenal injury list grows

Mikel Arteta backs ‘warrior’ Bruno Guimarães to make Arsenal stronger

Mikel Arteta believes Bruno Guimarães can bring leadership, intensity and ...
Lionel Messi

The Best Soccer Players of All Time: The 10 Greatest Ever Ranked

Ranking the greatest soccer players in history is a debate ...
Advertisement
Advertisement