Iran Unlikely to Compete at 2026 World Cup, Sports Minister Says

iran - Iran Unlikely to Compete at 2026 World Cup, Sports Minister Says
iran - Iran Unlikely to Compete at 2026 World Cup, Sports Minister Says

• Iran’s participation at the 2026 World Cup has been thrown into doubt following escalating conflict with the United States and Israel.
• FIFA president Gianni Infantino said Donald Trump has assured him Iran would be welcome to compete.
• Iranian officials have expressed concerns about attending the tournament after recent attacks in the region.

The future participation of the Iran national football team at the 2026 FIFA World Cup remains uncertain following escalating conflict in the Middle East.

Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei was killed on the first day of attacks. He has since been succeeded by his son, Mojtaba Khamenei.

The conflict intensified after the United States and Israel began launching airstrikes on Iran on February 28, raising questions about whether Iran will travel to North America for the tournament.

Iran are scheduled to play two group matches in Los Angeles in June against New Zealand national football team and Belgium national football team before facing Egypt national football team in Seattle in their final group stage fixture.

Gianni Infantino said Donald Trump had assured him that Iran would be welcome to compete despite the political tensions.

“This evening, I met with the President of the United States, Donald J. Trump to discuss the status of preparations for the upcoming FIFA World Cup and the growing excitement as we are set to kick off in just 93 days,” Infantino posted on social media.

“We also spoke about the current situation in Iran, and the fact that the Iranian team has qualified to participate in the FIFA World Cup 2026. During the discussions, President Trump reiterated that the Iranian team is, of course, welcome to compete in the tournament in the United States.”

Infantino added that the tournament could serve as a moment of unity.

“We all need an event like the FIFA World Cup to bring people together now more than ever,” he said. “Football unites the world.”

Despite those assurances, Iranian football officials have begun to question whether the team should take part in the tournament.

Mehdi Taj, vice president of the Asian Football Confederation, said the situation had affected the mood surrounding the competition.

“What is certain is that after this attack, we cannot be expected to look forward to the World Cup with hope,” Taj said.

FIFA has not outlined clear procedures if Iran were to withdraw from the tournament. One possibility could see another Asian nation such as Iraq national football team or United Arab Emirates national football team taking their place in Group G.

The situation has also drawn attention after members of Iran’s women’s national team sought asylum following the AFC Women’s Asian Cup in Australia.

Five players initially requested protection, and Australia’s home affairs minister Tony Burke confirmed that another player and a member of staff also sought humanitarian visas. One of those individuals later decided to return to Iran.

Concerns over the team’s safety emerged after the players refused to sing the national anthem before their opening match against South Korea women’s national football team at the tournament, drawing criticism from supporters of the Iranian government.

Trump had earlier urged Australia to grant asylum to the entire squad and said the United States would consider doing so if Australia declined.

Avatar photo
WRITTEN BY

Hailey

Hailey Russell is a football journalist and former Division 1 collegiate athlete in the United States, bringing a unique blend of elite playing experience and professional insight to her work. Currently competing at the professional level in Europe, Hailey combines first-hand knowledge of the modern game with sharp analysis across match reports, player development, and tactical breakdowns.

More articles by Hailey →

Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment






The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

More in News

Curtis Jones Set to Leave Liverpool After 16 Years for £30m Inter Milan Move

Curtis Jones joined Liverpool's academy at the age of nine. ...

Frank Lampard’s Coventry Face Arsenal With No Fear After a 25-Year Wait for the Premier League

Four months ago, Coventry City fans lined the streets to ...
Zavier Gozo

Real Salt Lake Sell Zavier Gozo to Crystal Palace in Club-Record $15 Million Deal

Real Salt Lake announced Tuesday it has transferred homegrown winger ...
Andre Luiz seen during Liga Portugal game between teams of CF Estrela Amadora and Rio Ave FC at Estadio Jose Gomes (Maciej Rogowski/Ball Raw Images)

Sporting Kansas City Sign Brazilian Winger Andre Luiz in Club-Record Deal

Sporting Kansas City have added a new attacking piece to ...
Ernest Muci, Ezri Konsa during UEFA Europa Conference League 23/24 game between Aston Villa FC and Legia Warszawa at Villa Park, Birmingham, United Kingdom. (Maciej Rogowski) — Photo by mrogowski_photography

Arsenal Agree £51m Deal With Aston Villa to Sign Ezri Konsa

Arsenal have agreed a £51m deal to sign Ezri Konsa ...

Trending on Futbol Chronicle

What Is The Club World Cup?

The FIFA Club World Cup has undergone a significant transformation, ...
CHORZOW, POLAND - OCTOBER 11, 2018: Football Nations League division A group 3 match Poland vs Portugal 2:3 . In the picture assistant of referee. — Stock Editorial Photography

What Is Offsides in Soccer? The Offside Rule Fully Explained

A player is offside if any part of their head, ...

Celta Vigo postpones LaLiga opener after fungus outbreak damages stadium pitch

Celta Vigo’s LaLiga opener against Osasuna has been postponed because ...
Premier League West Ham United v Arsenal - Mikel Arteta blames schedule as Arsenal injury list grows

Mikel Arteta backs ‘warrior’ Bruno Guimarães to make Arsenal stronger

Mikel Arteta believes Bruno Guimarães can bring leadership, intensity and ...

Cristian Romero completes €40m move from Tottenham to Atlético Madrid

Cristian Romero has completed his transfer from Tottenham Hotspur to ...