Southampton kicked out of Championship playoff final after ‘Spygate’ ruling
- Southampton have been expelled from the Championship playoff final after being found guilty of spying on opponents.
- Middlesbrough have been reinstated and will now face Hull City at Wembley.
- Southampton plan to appeal the decision after receiving an additional four-point deduction.
Southampton FC have been thrown out of the Championship playoff final after an independent commission found the club guilty of spying on multiple opponents during the 2025-26 season.
In a dramatic escalation of the ‘Spygate’ scandal that has overshadowed the end of the Championship campaign, the English Football League also handed Southampton an additional four-point deduction to be applied at the start of next season.
Middlesbrough FC, who lost to Southampton in the playoff semifinal, have now been reinstated and are scheduled to face Hull City AFC at Wembley on May 23 for a place in the Premier League.
The final is still expected to go ahead as planned, although further delays remain possible if Southampton’s appeal process impacts the fixture schedule.
The EFL initially charged Southampton with spying on Middlesbrough ahead of the first leg of the semifinal at the Riverside Stadium.
However, further charges were added on May 17 following alleged breaches linked to fixtures against Oxford United in December 2025 and Ipswich Town in April 2026.
Southampton admitted breaching regulations requiring clubs to act “with the utmost good faith” and rules prohibiting the observation of another club’s training session within 72 hours of a scheduled match.
In a statement, the EFL confirmed Southampton retain the right to appeal.
“The parties are working to try and resolve any appeal on Wednesday 20 May,” the league said.
“Subject to the outcome, it could result in a further change to Saturday’s fixture.”
Southampton have already confirmed to the Press Association that they intend to challenge the sanctions.
The EFL added that the written reasons behind the commission’s decision would be released in due course and discussions with all three clubs regarding the implications of the ruling are ongoing.
Middlesbrough, who publicly argued last week that Southampton should be removed from the playoffs if found guilty, welcomed the verdict.
“We believe this sends out a clear message for the future of our game regarding sporting integrity and conduct,” the club said in a statement.
“As a club, we are now focused on our game against Hull City at Wembley on Saturday. Ticket information for our supporters will be available shortly.”
The decision brings an extraordinary chapter in English football to a head, with Southampton’s season collapsing in spectacular fashion just days before what was meant to be their biggest game of the year.