Guardiola Admits Manchester City Have ‘Not Much’ Chance After Real Madrid Defeat

TURIN, ITALY - DECEMBER 11: Pep Guardiola, Manager of Manchester City, looks on during the UEFA Champions League 2024/25 League Phase MD6 match between Juventus and Manchester City at Juventus Stadium on December 11, 2024 in Turin, Italy. (Photo by Francesco Scaccianoce - UEFA/UEFA via Getty Images)
TURIN, ITALY - DECEMBER 11: Pep Guardiola, Manager of Manchester City, looks on during the UEFA Champions League 2024/25 League Phase MD6 match between Juventus and Manchester City at Juventus Stadium on December 11, 2024 in Turin, Italy. (Photo by Francesco Scaccianoce - UEFA/UEFA via Getty Images)

• Manchester City lost 3-0 to Real Madrid in the Champions League round-of-16 first leg.
• Federico Valverde scored a first-half hat trick to put Madrid firmly in control of the tie.
• Pep Guardiola said City have “not much” chance but insisted his team will try to respond in the second leg.

Manchester City F.C. manager Pep Guardiola admitted his side face a difficult task to overturn their Champions League deficit after a 3-0 defeat to Real Madrid C.F. at the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium.

Federico Valverde scored a 22-minute hat trick in the first half to leave City with a major challenge ahead of the second leg at the Etihad Stadium next week.

Guardiola acknowledged the scale of the task facing his team if they are to progress in the UEFA Champions League.

“Now, not much,” Guardiola said when asked about City’s chances of reaching the quarterfinals.

“Of course we’re going to try. We will read what to do better and be more active in the final third and we will try.”

City were handed a brief opportunity to reduce the deficit in the second half when Vinícius Júnior saw his penalty saved by Gianluigi Donnarumma.

Before the match, Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti suggested Guardiola might make unexpected changes to his starting lineup, and the City manager introduced several adjustments.

Jérémy Doku, Savinho and Abdukodir Khusanov were all named in the starting side. Guardiola also moved Nico O’Reilly from midfield to left-back.

The 20-year-old was involved in the opening goal after misjudging a long pass forward from Thibaut Courtois, which allowed Valverde to score.

Guardiola substituted Savinho at half-time with City trailing 3-0 and later defended his selection decisions.

“How many times has Nico O’Reilly played left-back this season? How many times?” Guardiola said.

“The only adjustment was Khusanov in that area because Vinícius arrives in those areas and you have to control that.

“I did rotation in Newcastle with 11 different players and it was fine, so understand what I’m saying.”

Guardiola said the tactical plan had been to stretch Real Madrid with wide players while creating space centrally for attackers to operate closer to goal. City must now attempt to overturn the deficit when the teams meet again in Manchester next week.

Avatar photo
WRITTEN BY

Hailey

Hailey Russell is a football journalist and former Division 1 collegiate athlete in the United States, bringing a unique blend of elite playing experience and professional insight to her work. Currently competing at the professional level in Europe, Hailey combines first-hand knowledge of the modern game with sharp analysis across match reports, player development, and tactical breakdowns.

More articles by Hailey →

Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment






The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

More in News

Alonso Explains Plan to Blend Rogers and Palmer Before Fulham Opener

Xabi Alonso has spent his first weeks at Chelsea answering ...
Frank Lampard manager of Coventry City celebrates the 3-5 win with the traveling fans during the Sky Bet Championship match Derby County vs Coventry City at Pride Park Stadium, Derby, United Kingdom, 16th August 2025 — Photo by operations@newsimages.co.uk

Frank Lampard’s Coventry Face Arsenal With No Fear After a 25-Year Wait for the Premier League

Four months ago, Coventry City fans lined the streets to ...
Lionel Messi #10 of the Inter Miami FC runs during the MLS Regular season match between Toronto FC (Canada) v Inter Miami CF (USA) at BMO Field. — Photo by pftrip

Lionel Messi Ends Scoring Drought With First Goal for Inter Miami After His Father’s Death

Lionel Messi scored his first goal for Inter Miami on ...
Mikel Arteta of Arsenal acknowledges the fans after the teams victory following the Premier League match Manchester United vs Arsenal at Old Trafford, Manchester, United Kingdom, 17th August 2025 — Photo by operations@newsimages.co.uk

Mikel Arteta Says He Is “100 Per Cent” Certain Arsenal Will Keep Myles Lewis-Skelly

Asked directly whether he was confident Myles Lewis-Skelly will still ...

Curtis Jones Set to Leave Liverpool After 16 Years for £30m Inter Milan Move

Curtis Jones joined Liverpool's academy at the age of nine. ...

Trending on Futbol Chronicle

Premier League

Map of All the Premier League Teams for 2025/26

The 2025/26 Premier League features 20 clubs spread across England, ...
Michael Carrick - Rooney says Carrick gave “taste of what it was like under Sir Alex Ferguson”

Michael Carrick admits Manchester United have “no excuses” after AC Milan defeat

Manchester United suffered a 4-2 preseason defeat to AC Milan ...

Arab football federations back Gianni Infantino as FIFA president faces growing opposition

Six Arab football federations have expressed their “full support” for ...
Premier League West Ham United v Arsenal - Mikel Arteta blames schedule as Arsenal injury list grows

Mikel Arteta backs ‘warrior’ Bruno Guimarães to make Arsenal stronger

Mikel Arteta believes Bruno Guimarães can bring leadership, intensity and ...

What Is The Club World Cup?

The FIFA Club World Cup has undergone a significant transformation, ...