Italy reject suggestion to replace Iran at 2026 World Cup

Screenshot
Screenshot
  • Italian officials firmly dismissed the idea of replacing Iran, insisting qualification must be earned on the pitch
  • Proposal emerged as a contingency plan amid geopolitical tensions, but FIFA maintains Iran will participate
  • Iran continues preparations for the tournament, with group-stage matches scheduled in the United States

Italian sports authorities have rejected suggestions that Italy could replace Iran at the 2026 World Cup, following comments from a U.S. official proposing the idea as a contingency plan.

Iran has not withdrawn from the tournament and is continuing preparations to compete in the United States this summer. FIFA has consistently stated that Iran’s group-stage fixtures, scheduled in Los Angeles and Seattle, will proceed as planned.

The proposal came from U.S. special envoy Paolo Zampolli, who said he raised the possibility with Donald Trump and FIFA president Gianni Infantino. Zampolli described the idea as a non-political contingency in case Iran was unable to participate at short notice.

However, Italian officials responded with strong opposition.

Sports Minister Andrea Abodi said the idea was both “not possible” and “not appropriate,” emphasizing that World Cup qualification must be earned through results on the field. Italian Olympic Committee president Luciano Buonfiglio echoed that stance, stating that participation in the tournament must be deserved.

Italy’s Finance Minister Giancarlo Giorgetti went further, labeling the suggestion “shameful.”

Italy, a four-time World Cup winner, failed to qualify for the tournament for a third consecutive time. Meanwhile, Iran secured its place through the Asian Football Confederation’s qualification process and remains scheduled to play three group matches in the United States, beginning against New Zealand on June 15.

FIFA has declined to comment on the proposal but has reiterated in recent weeks that Iran will take part in the tournament. President Gianni Infantino recently stated that Iran would “for sure” compete, reinforcing the governing body’s position.

The Iranian embassy in Rome also criticized the suggestion, stating that football should remain separate from political influence and that participation should be determined by sporting merit.

Uncertainty around Iran’s participation has persisted since geopolitical tensions escalated earlier this year. Despite that, Iranian officials have confirmed the team is preparing for a “proud and successful participation” in the competition.

Under FIFA regulations, a replacement team could theoretically be selected if a qualified nation withdraws. However, no such scenario has materialized, and there are no current indications that Iran will be unable to compete.

The 2026 World Cup is set to begin in June across the United States, Canada and Mexico.

Avatar photo
WRITTEN BY

Hailey

Hailey Russell is a football journalist and former Division 1 collegiate athlete in the United States, bringing a unique blend of elite playing experience and professional insight to her work. Currently competing at the professional level in Europe, Hailey combines first-hand knowledge of the modern game with sharp analysis across match reports, player development, and tactical breakdowns.

More articles by Hailey →

Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment






The reCAPTCHA verification period has expired. Please reload the page.

More in News

Alonso Explains Plan to Blend Rogers and Palmer Before Fulham Opener

Xabi Alonso has spent his first weeks at Chelsea answering ...
Frank Lampard manager of Coventry City celebrates the 3-5 win with the traveling fans during the Sky Bet Championship match Derby County vs Coventry City at Pride Park Stadium, Derby, United Kingdom, 16th August 2025 — Photo by operations@newsimages.co.uk

Frank Lampard’s Coventry Face Arsenal With No Fear After a 25-Year Wait for the Premier League

Four months ago, Coventry City fans lined the streets to ...
Lionel Messi #10 of the Inter Miami FC runs during the MLS Regular season match between Toronto FC (Canada) v Inter Miami CF (USA) at BMO Field. — Photo by pftrip

Lionel Messi Ends Scoring Drought With First Goal for Inter Miami After His Father’s Death

Lionel Messi scored his first goal for Inter Miami on ...
Mikel Arteta of Arsenal acknowledges the fans after the teams victory following the Premier League match Manchester United vs Arsenal at Old Trafford, Manchester, United Kingdom, 17th August 2025 — Photo by operations@newsimages.co.uk

Mikel Arteta Says He Is “100 Per Cent” Certain Arsenal Will Keep Myles Lewis-Skelly

Asked directly whether he was confident Myles Lewis-Skelly will still ...

Curtis Jones Set to Leave Liverpool After 16 Years for £30m Inter Milan Move

Curtis Jones joined Liverpool's academy at the age of nine. ...

Trending on Futbol Chronicle

Why Soccer Is The Best Sport

Soccer has become incredibly popular across the globe in recent ...
2026 World Cup ball

The Best World Cup YouTubers to Follow in 2026

The 2026 World Cup is the biggest in the tournament's ...

Arab football federations back Gianni Infantino as FIFA president faces growing opposition

Six Arab football federations have expressed their “full support” for ...

Celta Vigo postpones LaLiga opener after fungus outbreak damages stadium pitch

Celta Vigo’s LaLiga opener against Osasuna has been postponed because ...
Michael Carrick - Rooney says Carrick gave “taste of what it was like under Sir Alex Ferguson”

Michael Carrick admits Manchester United have “no excuses” after AC Milan defeat

Manchester United suffered a 4-2 preseason defeat to AC Milan ...